No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: enamelled (?) vase snow scene woman carrying logs, crimped rim,satin glass  (Read 1698 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Max  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Rosie I think that one is unmarked or they can't have seen a mark but it appears to the same vase as the one I linked to in the previous post which I think is marked or seems to say it is marked?
m

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
hi

sorry I'm away at the moment and have only limited internet access

but when Max asks so nicely who am I to stay silent!

I've started many emails like this:

Supposedly in the 1930s the were around 100 enamelling houses sometimes called 'finishing houses' in and around Paris and barely a quarter of them ever signed their work. So this is not an exact science.

This image originated with Daum  -but it is not Daum -not good enough quality

Major copyists that signed were Legras, Joma and Jem

This is however quite good quality - In balance I'm going to agree with the running consensus

unsigned or lost signature Legras

It is a legras shape (I think) -alas being away form home I don't have my reference books to hand.

Legras signatures and heavy snow did not mix (they signed them before the snow was added and often the signature was completely obitorated)

Nice piece

cheers

mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
As I was posting Mike you posted  :) thank you so much.  I really do appreciate it.  I was just about to say I've found a couple more things -
I've found a better picture of the biscuit barrel that can be enlarged without losing too much resolution if you press Control and the += button on the keyboard.  I thought I'd include that for reference or just interest although I think it translates as saying that is unsigned? - scroll down to the glass pics and it is in the top row or should be

http://www.monthureux.fr/legras.htm

I also found what I think is a picture of the shape of my vase.  From what I have found on the net, I think it is on page 109 of Verrier Legras the book on Legras glass.  It is only 15.5cm high but the descriptor says Vase ovoide a godrons which I think??? means a vase with ribs, which my vase also has.  Mine is taller than this but the shape and relative proportions of the vase seem the right form at least to my unknowing eye.
Not conclusive but at least I've found a similar shape now as well as something approaching the style of the   decoration  :-\
I have read through all your posts and previous posts on this or similar subjects, so I had become aware of the variety of possibles as you mention  ;D - mind you I'm having a great time searching and  looking at all the wonderful cameo pieces and feeling green with envy.
thank you again
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Mike, thanks for taking time out from your stall at the NEC to give your expert opinion on this vase.   :kissy: 

I am not a man

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Max, Ivo, Mike, many thanks again  :sun: 
I just wanted to correct my reference above, the book reference I saw is here (see link below) and having had another look ( now it isn't late at night  :-[ ), I was referring to the vase that seems to be plate 109 on page 196 of the book Legras Verrier.
http://books.libertys.com/en/sold-books/lib3930/legras-verrier-comprehensive-illustrated-catalogue
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand