No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ruffled edge bowl  (Read 997 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
ruffled edge bowl
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
Hi, this bowl has a ruffled rim and has a number or ridges around the circumference of the body. It has a gold coloured embossed floral decoration and gold specs on the rim mouth. polished out pontil mark, 4 inches dia and 3.5 inches tall.
Any idea,s please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ruffled edge bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
Search for info using the word "rose bowl" - it is the name for this specific shape. The rose bowl is mostly an American item - either produced there or made for that market in Bohemia, England or France.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »
I'm probably completely wrong because my head is just in French glass possibles at the moment but I found this attributed vase whilst searching for my vase on another thread
I don't suppose it could be Mont Joye could it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4856788236/

I'm probably wrong and there were quite possibly lots of companies who used this type of decoration but it might just be a lead to start with, but looking at the flowers in the base shot it reminded me  :-\  Can you get better pics of the decoration?

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
What you have is a rose bowl. Johanna Billings shows something very similar in her book Collectible Glass Rose Bowls, and postulates Bohemain.

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
Hi, and thanks to everyone for their posts. I have attached more pictures of the decoration and the french rose bowl glass Mont Joye on  the short cut from Flying Free seems to be of a  similar decor.
many thanks

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:14:14 PM »
Sorry, just to add I have also come across two examples of rose bowls like yours with the same or very similar decoration.  They are both attributed as, or probably as, Mont Joye....however....I have a feeling this might be 'internet attribution' at work.  In other words one has it as possible/probably and then others have been attributed using that.  So that does not make it a conclusive id. Ivo and Christine have both said Bohemian so I would think that is the place to start looking and apologies for putting the cat amongst the pigeons as it were  :)
m

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
No apologies needed M as you say quote  internet attribution at work. Will follow up Ivo,s and Christines Bohemian  path.
Many thanks for the quick replies
Malc

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
Ivo and Christine have both said Bohemian so I would think that is the place to start looking ...

Sorry to be pedantic, but what Ivo said was:
... or made for that market in Bohemia, England or France.
And Christine said:
Johanna Billings shows something very similar ... and postulates Bohemain.

So Ivo and Christine have only mentioned Bohemian in two particular contexts, neither have actually said it is Bohemian.

Searching the web for "Mont Joye rose bowl" will find a few items with quite similar decorative motifs, and there is at least one bowl that has decor extremely close to the one queried here. But whether the decor of these bowls indicates Mont Joye or not, I wouldn't like to say.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »
I'm going to disagree slightly with Ivo
The rose bowl is mostly an American item - either produced there or made for that market in Bohemia, England or France.

There are plenty of them here in the UK (I have five but I'm a cheapskate and also try only to buy uranium), so they must have sold well here too. The market was/is just a teensy bit bigger in the US ;)

Interesting doesn't mention France as far as I can see but she does mention Italy and Germany in connection with rose bowls.

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
The Mont Joye attribution seems reasonable. I've owned several similar examples, some marked, some not (the example shown on Flickr is mine). Here's another showing the mark:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6461
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11656

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand