No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual iridescent glass vase with silver rim.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Unusual iridescent glass vase with silver rim.
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
Hi,
I purchased this vase some years ago on Ebay without really knowing what I was purchasing. I like iridescent pieces and this met that criteria. When it arrived I was quite suprized to find that this iridescent vase had a substantial silver rim which seemed to have a clear hallmark for Birmingham and also carried the word Sterling and also the numbers 115. The strange thing is that the Hallmark is confusing, the lion passant is facing the wrong way, the date looks like a Gothic G that was used in 1830 which suggested that the rim was added later. However I have since discovered through perusing the internet that the mark is very likely of American origen and was probably created by a Company named Gorham sometime during the latter end of the nineteenth century.
I am assuming that the vase is also American and wondered if anyone might recognise the honeycombe pattern from another piece. The moulded base shows a 4 way join. I may have actually asked this question before but my mind being what it is :-\.
Thanks,
Bryn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
Re: Unusual iridescent glass vase with silver rim.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
The assay marks don't look right to me.  I'm not an expert but on the Birmingham marks I've seen the anchor is generally wider and the cartouches have bevelled corners rather than square.  And as you say, the lion is facing the wrong way.  My instincts tell me there's something wrong about those marks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Hi,
No, I don't believe it to be an English hallmark. I have no doubt that it is silver but having now found this Website http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html there is proof that it was actually a product of the Gorham Manufacturing Company Rhode Island.USA.
I would still like to find some information on the glass vase though.
Thanks
Bryn

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
No reason why US factors would not import Bohemian glass as did the English ones, this glass looks like Bohemian.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »
Your probably right Frank. Whilst looking up some info for Glassobsessed (John) on the Loetz.com website I did see a far more flamboyant honeycomb patterned vase attributed to Samuel Dugan just last week so i thought someone from over the pond might recognise the pattern as being from over there. Might be clutching at straws though.
Cheers,
Bryn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand