No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese Pate-de-Verre - Liuligongfang  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Chinese Pate-de-Verre - Liuligongfang
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
Hi,

Picked this up today out and about on a bit of a whim.  Seen a handful of other threads discussing Liuligongfang and their Pate-de-Verre production on this board.

Signed to the base 'Liuli 2010 987/3278'

Had a look through their website, although couldn't see anything matching this particular design, perhaps their ranges have changed this year.

Not my normal area, but seems very good quality, few pictures attached.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Chinese Pate-de-Verre - Liuligongfang
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »

Any thoughts appreciated.

super piece, easily identified. One of my top contenders for collectibles of the future.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
Thanks Ivo, good to hear your thoughts. Just reading some of the other threads regarding Liuligongfang, would this piece be pate-de-cristal or pate-de-verre, the distinctions sounded a little technical...?

Greg
 :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »
I do adore their work and this is a really nice one! 2010 was year of the Tiger  ;)

Most designs have their special meaning and symbolism.

As far as I know 'lost wax' technique and therefore all one-of-a-kind.

Unfortunately very expensive also in Hongkong and Mainland  :cry:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
I just refreshed my memory to check as I thought these were issued as limited editions,  albeit using the lost wax technique, and therefore not totally unique pieces.  I'm open to correction here, but I believe the moulds are created using the lost wax technique however each design is issued as a limited edition and the pieces within that edition numbered to show this.  Your piece is number 987 out of 3278 of that design.
 Obviously I guess therefore it makes each piece unique but not each design...if that makes sense?  As I said, I'm open to correction  :sun:  Is this the way Daum also produce their pieces? and would  they therefore (Liuligonfang and Daum) be considered unique anyway?
Oh and by the way, I'm very jealous  ;D  I've yet to come across a piece although desperately seeking one, and I failed to bid on the last one I saw  :cry:
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »
Might be hard to tell whether it's pate de crystal or verre without the documentation.  One piece of mine is pate de crystal, the other pate de verre. 

I am not a man

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
Hi,

Makes complete sense, number 987 out of a series of 3278, produced from moulds using the lost wax technique. Looking at their website, each piece takes in total around 6-8 weeks to complete, over 12 different stages, outlined in their link below....

http://www.liuli.com/en-us/pata_de_verre.aspx

Whilst each piece has its own characteristics, essentially the series design is the same. Not completely sure about Daum's production, however, I know one of the previous threads discussing Liuligongfang touched on the fact that their technique was the same as in use at Daum these days, not really sure how unique this specific method is generally speaking, although clearly very labour intensive.

To be honest, I didn't recognise the maker initially, more the technique that stood out, came across it in a general bric-a-brac place, which is a little odd in itself seeing as it was produced only last year.
 :)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
Thanks Max, I had been wondering, I sent their customer services department a brief email, so am hoping that they might shed a little more light.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:48:58 PM »
Lost wax casting has been mostly used for casting bronzes as one offs. But the technology has been refined adding another stage to make a mould from with further wax forms can be produced. With bronze casting the usually hand made wax original is buried in casting sand and the metal poured in which vaporises the wax. Unfortunately if you try that with glass you end up with very bubbly glass... so for glass you use the wax 'master' to make a mould to produce wax masters. Each wax master is then buried in a form of plaster and once set then heated to remove all of the wax... then the glass is poured into the mould. A lot of processes but not as labour intensive as you might think as each stage apart from creating the original is quite quick. It is an effective method of producing limited editions.

Technology has moved on and it possible to generate the original using computers and 3D printers so the same approach can be used for mass production and is in the container industry except that they create metal moulds from the originals. In theory is is possible to produce pate-de-vere in a 3D printer subject to glass inks (i.e. very fine glass in a suspension) that could then be fused in an oven. Slumping is prevented by also printing the mould in a non-glass material that is easily separted from the glass after fusing. No idea if anyone is doing this yet but it is a technique that offers even more remarkable art potential than is currently achieved by water cutting of glass blocks, Essentially anything you can visualise and generate as a 3D computer model could be made in glass. Exciting times....

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:34 AM »
I am intrigued that much of the 'Studio' and factory Pate de verre is of a very primitive nature compared to Argy-Rosseau and Liuligongfang. It is simply a matter of technique I guess and the more primitive approach tends to, in my opinion, lose out on the qualities that glass offers and tends to be no different in end result to similar techniques used in ceramics. It does not take much more effort to do as AR and L so I presume that this ceramic style is being exploited by the artists deliberately. In the case of Caithness Glass examples it is probably just to speed up production time. But heck I am a known reactionary and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Liuligongfang I agree with Ivo is future SUPER, outbidding on any example that pops up on crimebay is good for your pension fund, buying new will work for that too.

On page 13 of Reflections 3 you can see the process of creating Pate de Verre in step by step detail  LINK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand