No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VASELINE ART DECO STYLIZED LION HEAD DISH ID = Reijmyre, Sweden  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: VASELINE ART DECO STYLIZED LION HEAD DISH ID = Reijmyre, Sweden
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »
Another myth down. I was informed it was Reijmyre on the Swedish glass board Antikprat or Precis en San and had no reason at all to disbelieve it. So we change it to Pukeberg no problem.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
Hi Ivo!
Mariehelm also added :
"About your question if BAY mentioned Notini, I have to say no. There is nothing about Notini in this article.

As I can read in the article, Venon started to have Reijmyre to produce his glass, with Venon's patterns.

When Venon got knowledge that Reijmyre was closed down in 1926 he immediately asked Pukeberg to buy all the American glass forms and all other accessories and go on producing the glass wares. He also suggested Pukeberg to employ the glass blowers from Reijmyre.
The management of Pukeberg did their best to fulfil Venons request. Venon found that now it was the right moment for Pukeberg to enlarge their production for the American market with further models of glass. During years 1926-1929 Pukeberg made a lot of glass for this marked and even published several export catalogs."

I'm reminded of a phrase I came across: "Reijmyre glassworks usually likened to a cat - it's said that it has nine lives."

Since operations began in 1810, the story alongside the successes sometimes characterized by closures and restructurings. "
Last year marked its 200th year anniversary.
An important closure came in 1926 when the plant went bankrupt.
It really didn't resurface until 1932 with a new ownership of Gustaf E. Nilsson of Lotorp .
Jules. H . Venon had a series of patents issued during this period. In each case he signed as the 'inventor' of the design.
According to the US Patent Office: Jules Henri Venon was born Ronen (sic), France 21 APR 1871.  (Perhaps Ronen is a mistake and should be Rouen.)
The following site shows some of the glass and the patents that were sold through his shop located 43-51 West 4th Street, New York. Later he had shops on Fifth Avenue and in Los Angeles as well. NY. [LINK REMOVED]
The patent for the cat plate plate appears on page 3.
I believe he owned the patents for these items. But was he their designer? Probably not; it might have been possible to buy them after the bankruptsy in 1926.

At the Patents Office he signed as the 'inventor' of the cat plate.

I remember from my research that Venon made annual buying trips to Europe Between 1902 and 1922, Jules applied for 9 renewals of his passport to make his annual buying trip, typically of 3 month duration, to numerous named countries abroad. On each application, he stated that he was the president and buyer of his firm, J. H. Venon, Inc., importer of china & glassware, located 43-51 West 4th Street, New York, NY.

What it highlights is the role of the importer.
Venon's timing was important in his success.
He needed to be there as well.
He provided impetus for the restructuring and development of Pukeberg.

regards

Kevin Gummer

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
What we need is catalogues. On the basis of this information, it is possible the design was made by Reijmyre before 1926 and Pukeberg after.

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
I agree.

I visited the site of Börje A Y Åkerblom and he has some intersting material there.
http://www.bayakerblom.se/Dokumentation.html

Björkå glasbruk 1872 - 1962
&
Målerås glasbruk 1924 -                                                                                       

I think he has sveral copies of both Pukeberg and Reijmyre catalogues.
I believe he is a consultant too!

regards

Kevin G.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
This has been and still is fascinating to me, thank you all.

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »
Hi Susan! Following on from yesterday I had contact with the Swedish correspondent who came back with another comment:

"Here you can find a pitures of another of those items in a Swedish forum.
I really love it. There are a lot of his pieces in the magasin who are absolutly adorable.
http://precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?31921-Glas-fr%E5n-Pukeberg&highlight=Pukeberg

There is also my pictures of my plate with the Lion.
I myself had the same questions that you mentioned about the possibility that Venon owned the patents, but had bought it from some other designer.
Perhaps will we never know the fully thruth about it, but for now it will be known as Venons design."

I replied:

Thanks for that reference Mariehem.
I think I recognise the glass at the top of the page.
I think that the glass pattern's name is SOLDJADER – fan pattern. 72506-1
I think the Swedish term used in the article is Snäcka.

As I said before most of the people who have some knowledge about Venon are collectors of 'vaseline glass'.
On Collector's Weekly there is a movement for the collecting of glass that glows under 'blue light'. This plate will also give that glow.

Venon patented that glass too! .... 72506-1.
The pattern has a variety of names for collectors in the US especially it is called: Turkey, Tracks, Fan, and even Pukeberg!

There is a copy of the basic pattern and the US patent at this address:

[LINK REMOVED]

At the same address you will find the drawing and US patent for your plate as well:
[LINK REMOVED]
The patent is the next image.

There is also an image of a lion glass that I have not as yet seen other than this image:
[LINK REMOVED]

Note the dates of the patent is in 1927, June 21.
This is a year earlier than the patent application for your plate on June 12, 1928.

You can see quite a nice collection of the 'vaseline glass' pieces here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/auggiearniethom/2923301772/ 

I don't have any myself. I have not yet been able to get a lion's head plate, but I would certainly like one.

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead.

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
I received a further comment from Mariehem on Collector's Weekly today:
"Scandinavian pieces, Susan, ventraio50 and all others who are interested in this glass,

Sent a mail to Börje A Y Åkerblom (BAY) with our questions and today he kindly answered me.
BAY is a well-known expert of Swedish glass .
He wrote that it is not easy to find exactly facts of old Swedish glass. Therefore, he says, we have to provide that Venon is the designer as he was the one who asked for the patents and no one else is mentioned.

BAY also said that at Pukeberg´s factory today there is no one who has the fully knowledge about the old glass and you can even find some wrong facts in their description of their showed old collection.

About H. Notini he said that Notini essentially was designing armatures for Pukeberg. Moreover glass pieces that for sure are of Notini´s design have quite another style. Therefore BAY thought Notini did not have anything to do with this the design of these pieces.

Sorry if I express myself in a funny way or maybe rude. It is not easy for me to discuss in your language. ?"

I replied: Hi Mariehem! Many thanks for your contributions, expressed so well in English. I just wish that I had such facility with Swedish.

It looks like the importer gets the credit for the design?

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
Mariehem also added this comment :
"I made som changing of the name of my album, as I put in pictures with another vase that I don´t know the designer of. That caused a new name of the album.
The new link is:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109222458807469199256/VenonGlasPukebergOchDiverseAnnat?authkey=Gv1sRgCO2bo5LXnJuhDg

The photos include some interesting new additions to "Venon's work" including two wine glasses:Starkvinsglaset Lejon & Vinglaset Sjöjungfrun

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
Hi, sorry for the late reply, for some reason my email alerts are not working.
I have to thank you for all the hard work you have put into researching this topic and for all the new information useful to all of us i think.
Also, i would love a set of those glasses !!!

Thank you so much  :kissy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand