No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molasses Can/Sruup Pitchers  (Read 3271 times)

Offline chearn

• Members
Molasses Can/Sruup Pitchers
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »
Good Morning:

I'm in the process of preparing an educational program for our local glass collecting group.  The topic I have selected is Molasses Cans, "aka" Syrup Pitchers. I have a collection of 65 pieces which will be the reference part of my presentation.  The collection is from the 1880 to about 1915 time period and mainly in colour and is American pressed or mould blown glass.

My question; I have never understood why the have been refered to as cans.  Cans when I think about the word leaves me with the idea that they should be made of metal not glass.  Recently I have thought it was maybe just a short form for the word containers, molasses containers.  

Here come the curve.  I have just looked over a copy of the Pressed Glass Collectors Club publication which has reprinted the pages from George Davidson's & Co. #1 and 2 catalogues.  On page 11 there is a reprint of half pint handled drinking mugs and the page is headed up as "CANS".  Now I have to think that is it not just a short form for the word containers, there must be some additional meaning.  If anyone can clarify the use of the word Cans in glass terminology I would appreciate the helping hand.  

Thank You

Carl Hearn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »
I was always of the impression that the word can/s, was a shortened version of the word Canister/s.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:32:52 PM »
In Merriam-Webster's Collegiate dictionary (US) the first definition of can is a 'usually' cylindrical receptacle; the second definition is a vessel for holding liquids, specifically a drinking vessel. Middle English from the Old English canne. Metal is not mentioned till the 4th and 5th definitions

But in the Oxford dictionary, can is now specifically a cylindrical METAL container.

So your molasses pitchers use the first US meaning and the Davidson catalogue the seond, which is no longer in UK dictionaries.

An interesting evolution of language

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 04:34:21 PM »
Or possibly Canteen...?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 04:35:10 PM »
Most likely from the Dutch word for pitcher or jug: KAN. A "Kan" is also a standard measure of liquid

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:38:41 PM »
Kan, kanne (German), can - they're all related. From the Oxford dictionary: 'either of germanic origin or from the Late Latin canna'.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »
seonded!  :)

" Kanne " in German always has got a handle  and it is larger than a "Kännchen" which would be a creamer

Not always it goes with a lid, but we also say Kaffeekanne and Teekanne - (coffee and tea) - lidded of course  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »
Sowerby's catalogs from the late 1800s show many CANS. They are handled drinking vessels. We'd call them glass mugs (or even tankards) today.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 10:21:27 PM »
The few remaining handled drinking vessels still being made at Sowerbys when I was there in the 1950s were still called cans.  I never understood it either!

Adam D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand