No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Scottish Glass or Murano ?????  (Read 552 times)

Offline abc

• Members
Is this Scottish Glass or Murano ?????
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:38:15 AM »
Hello , I think this is Scottish or Murano but I am not sure which , or may be something totally different again , its a funny shape  , but can anyone say where is from please and also how old they think it is . It has plenty of wear to the base so I think at least 1960 and before
Hope you can help , and thanks for looking

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Is this Scottish Glass or Murano ?????
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Not impossibly Scottish, but definitely not Ysart. Check with John Deacons and Peter Holmes. It is a loving cup.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline abc

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »
Thanks Frank , are you saying its a slim chance it scottish but in your expert opinion its not , whats your gut feeling and how would i get in touch with the two gentlemen you mention please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Not saying it is not. You will find contact details for both in the on-line booklet here I think they are primary candidates. The style of decoration is in the Ysart style. But a lot of work has gone into this piece, I think the aventurine is floating above the other colouring so you have - Layer 1 white inner, 2 coloured enamels, 3 clear casing, 4 aventurine marvered in, 5 heavy gather that has had the handles drawn out. Other candidates are Chic Young and Chris Dodds, neither of whom you would be able to contact.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand