No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bizare Ruby glass decanter/bottle ID. Stiegel?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Ana_2704

• Members
Bizare Ruby glass decanter/bottle ID. Stiegel?
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »
I just recently aquired this gold ruby glass decanter/bottle. I was told it was made by Stiegel but there is little evidence that Stiegel ever produced ruby glass...or did they? I'm going to go with English or German/Bohemian import, but who knows? The glass is a little darker and duller than the photos suggest. It has a long neck with an applied lip and flattened sides. It has some wear on the bottom and has a ground pontil. The glass is very good with very few bubbles (I think I found 3) and it has a small dark stain on the inside. I thought the shape was unusual and the color is really pretty! Has anyone ever seen a decanter like this before? I am open to all suggestions as to what it is!  ;D

-Ana

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Bizare Ruby glass decanter/bottle ID. Stiegel?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:55:12 AM »
Hiya. Not Stiegel, not Ruby, not old but a very nice bottle vase in Selenium red. Hand made in half post technique, nicely finished pontil and quite impossible to say where from. My first guess would be Scandinavia - but will see what the others have to say.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »
Looks to me like the neck/shoulder was shaped and applied separately and done very well!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »
shaped and applied separately

that is the half post technique. a second gather is folded over the first because the body of the bottle takes up more glass than the neck. It was a favourite in Denmark and Sweden.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ana_2704

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »
Scandinavia looks like a good lead. I will see what I can find! That is cool about the half post technique. The guy that I bought it from also has a signed Orrefors decanter with a duck on it so maybe that is a clue (and the guy still said it was from Stiegel, can you believe it?!).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand