No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finnish vase possibly ( or lookalike) similiarities to Paadar texture Wirkkala - ID = Pukeberg  (Read 3995 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Looking for some help on this please for a friend.  It is a beautifully made and finished vase whereever it has originated.  The texture on the stem has similarities to the Paadar pieces by Wirkkala, but otherwise I have drawn a blank.
Any help much appreciated  :sun:
It measures 4" tall (10cm) by 4.5" widest, the stem is round the flattened top has been flattened into an odd shaped triangle slightly curved down on one side.  The visual effect on the flattened top is lots of lines radiating out from the stem to the outer edges, but it is smooth. Very heavy piece, base has mould creases but is flat and clear see through. The internal well can be seen through the base and looks textured at the bottom but not from half way up, a nice optical illusion possibly (my photo isn't the right angle to show this).
thanks for looking
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Hi m,
I will have a look in my Iittala book tonight.

But for a piece like this I would highly suspect it to be signed if it was Iittala (at least with the artist's initials), so I guess a different maker...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thank you Michael, that is much appreciated :sun:
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Ok, I have looked through the whole catalogue section of the Iittala book, but haven't seen anything similar...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you so much!
So, I shall go off in another direction then.  Unfortunately whilst I have quite a few clear textured pieces this doesn't seem similar to any of them, although whilst writing I've just had a thought about one piece that I shall check to see if the texture on the stem is the same.
thank you again.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
the piece I was thinking of was my Dartington Daisy set.  The stem bears a very 'vague' similarity to the bumpy base of those dishes....vague though.  I wonder if this could be an FT Vase for Dartington?  Anyone seen one around?
thanks again.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm still thinking this is Scandinavian.  If a mod reads this, please could it be moved to the Scandinavian section to hopefully gain attention over there?  just for a little while?   Many thanks  :sun:
It glows bright yellow under uv light I accidentally discovered tonight. Would this indicate it maybe isn't a recent piece?
many thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just a gentle bump - I can't believe it's nearly two years since I asked about this :)
one more picture added.  This is very very heavy for size.
Any thoughts or leads much appreciated.
Thanks  :)
m

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Reminds me of the copy's of the Timo Sarpavena candle sticks. Can be hard to tell without actually seeing and holding one from the pics as it is clear glass.

Does anyone know which country done the copies of the TS candle sticks? I am drawing a blank but am sure it was discussed somewhere...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks for looking Kane :)
The copies were from Taiwan,  but I've seen those and may still have one upstairs - the quality of this vase is in a different league as far as I can tell.  It's really well made,  well cast, high quality piece.

Edited to add, I 'think' the copies were from Taiwan, but I'm now going to need to check that out - we may not be thinking of the same thing :)

ok, yes we were and the copies were from Taiwan.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand