No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old-ish wine glass no. 1  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Old-ish wine glass no. 1
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:03 AM »
I picked this up a while ago and have been wondering about it ever since so now I have pics I'm seeking opinions please....

It has a greyish cast that I associate with older glass, and has a polished pontil mark on the base of the foot (just visible in the pic below), the bowl shows feint striations in the glass which I've not managed to get a pic of (like when pottery is made on a wheel) above the cut panels, and there's a bump up in the base of the bowl, the top rim is rounded off (not flat cut) so fire-polished?, the foot is very slightly irregular - i.e. not a perfect circle, and very slightly lopsided and the stem is very slightly off-centre, and the cuts vary ever so slightly in size too! So ever so slightly wonky but it's still a nice wee glass.

Height is 4⅝ inches tall, and it's 2½ inches in diameter at both the foot and the top rim.

It's going to be impossible to determine a maker I'm sure, but I'd be interested in opinions as to age please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand