No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Murano Alrose ashtray?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this a Murano Alrose ashtray?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
I found a Mount Royal in Montreal. I've tried to make sense of the MRM. Mount Royal Montreal? Mount Royal Museum? I couldn't find any listings that had the label. We only know the things were foreign to Mount Royal, so apparently imported.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »
Yeah came up with the same results, surely they must have been registered somewhere? quite a few companies like Hardy and Jones and Jaffe Rose were I think based in the UK from the 30s to the 50s imported from various countries including Sweden, Italy and Czechoslovakia and all come up in searches, for obvious reasons post world war 2 exporters from certain countries used the word 'foreign' not sure if China would come into that category? not sure about the bowls but my initial thoughts for the paperweights were Chinese too. Pretty sure the 'M' stands merchandise the label read Mount Royal Merchandise MRM foreign

Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
I did find a Mount Royal Importer/Exporter that is registered in Sri Lanka...most likely not the one mentioned here although they may be. The limited information I could find is they deal with telecommunication parts and spices...but then again, who knows what else as there company name also pops on infodrive India under the Glass Importers and Glass Buyers for Sri Lanka.

I'll put it on my further search list but I wouldn't expect to much more in regards to information at this stage...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
The ashtray in the original post looks like one from Kamei, so I still hold to that. They are very abundant. The one you saw could have been imported by MRM from Japan. Makes sense to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:43:32 AM »
I agree. Foreign was generally used on items exported from Japan and Germany to the UK in the 20/30 or so years post WW2 and Mount Royal Merchandise is almost certainly an importer or an exporter.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
Confused. If Mount Royal is an import company, they could have bought from anywhere, right? And really, I don't even know what Alrose is. Is it a glass company or an import company?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
Hi Anita, all I can really tell you is these bowls and similar 2 coloured vases  have been listed on eBay over here for years describing them made in Murano Italy by Alrose or sometimes described made by  Holmegaard the quality is pretty poor or at least this example I have is?
I know a little about Holmegaard and even less about Murano and nothing at all about MRM probably an export/import label has already suggested not a clue where they come from China/Japan? and  nowhere near the quality you would expect.

Chris

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=murano+alrose&_sacat=See-All-Categories

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand