No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Would love some help with ID for this creamer  (Read 835 times)

Offline butterflyspray

• Members
Would love some help with ID for this creamer
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
Have been trying to figure out any info on this piece for a couple years but have found nothing. In another section of this forum someone thought maybe it was English or European. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.  : )

The creamer is 5 3/8" tall and 5" wide and also has a fern pattern on both sides. It fluoresces under a black light, has three seam lines and a few bubbles in the glass.

Thank you so much for any information!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Would love some help with ID for this creamer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
can you provide a link to your previous posting of this please.    I'm no expert on creamers but with my limited experience, wheel engraving (which is what this appears to be) on a pressed creamer seems unusual.     I assume your fluorescence is green, and is almost certainly caused by the presence of manganese oxide, which was added to the glass batch (when producing clear glass) as a decolourizer to counteract unwanted brown or greenish discolouration caused by iron impurities in the silica).      Apparently, the manganese functions as a chromatic neutralizer.     Presumably this piece doesn't carry any marks or Nos., and unless someone recognizes this particular pattern, you will remain forever without an attribution.   These objects were made (in glass) excessively commonly every where from before the middle of the C19 until the middle of the C20, and although you don't mention wear, it might be a general rule of thumb that the greater the wear the greater the age  -  but that is only a very general guide.   It very much depends on whether the creamer has spent its life on a table cloth or some far rougher surface - used heavily - or spent its life in a cupboard. :)
Ref.     'An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass'  -  Harold Newman  -  Thames and Hudson  -  1977. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butterflyspray

• Members
Re: Would love some help with ID for this creamer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
Thank you for all the information Paul.  : )

Here's the link to the previous post (though there isn't much info there): http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=42979.new;topicseen#new

====================
Mod: Edited to add: The only details in the other thread regarding the Creamer were by Sid, who said:
"I don't recognize the cream.  It looks English or European to me."
====================

Yes, it does fluoresce a yellowy-green color. Unfortunately I could not find any kind of maker's mark. As for wear on the creamer, there are slight scratches on the smooth areas. However,it is difficult to see how much wear there is to the bottom because the glass itself is almost like its textured, even more so on the foot. It is really an interesting creamer.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand