No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This A Large Scent Bottle or Whiskey Decanter or????  (Read 817 times)

Offline jenndk

• Members
Is This A Large Scent Bottle or Whiskey Decanter or????
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
This is a heavy piece. I believe it is crystal. The neck of the bottle has silver on it, no marking of any kind on the bottle or the silver. Do you think the silver is sterling? plated? With the stopper in it measures 8 1/4" tall X about 4" wide. I know nothing about these things. What is it? Scent bottle? Whiskey decanter or just a decorative bottle? Ant idea of origin or age? Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is This A Large Scent Bottle or Whiskey Decanter or????
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
Can't really help with any useful information, unfortunately - other than to suggest that it looks more like a perfume dispenser of some description than a decanter.   Put a little CIF or Brasso, or some proprietary metal polish on your handkerchief, and rub the metalwork  -  if there is any silver present then you should end up with a very black mark on your hanky.    If this was a piece of some quality i.e. a silver collar, then I would have expected some hall/silver content marks.   You can also sometimes smell silver, a slightly sharp metalic aroma - no black mark, then no silver.        Regret this is not of much use.    Where did you acquire this - antique market, charity shop, Christmas gift..........do you have reason to believe this might originate from some particular country (don't know where you are) :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »
Perfume bottle seems likely and is similar to some Moser ones about the same size in 1948 catalogue. Not saying it is Moser but a starting point..

Offline jenndk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Purchased at an Estate Sale and when I clean it blaxk residue does come off on cloth.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39:28 AM »
Looks like a perfume container to me as well.  If the collar is solid Silver - AKA Sterling Silver there ought to be a small punched mark of "S" or perhaps "925" which is the Continental equivalent.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline jenndk

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:06:22 AM »
I do not see any markings on the silver part at all. Should I assume it is plated?

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:19 AM »
Most likely and don't get too enthusiastic with the "Silvo" or you will rub it off. 

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand