No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Glass Man Required Please Help????  (Read 352 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Old Glass Man Required Please Help????
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
Got an interesting set of 8 glasses from a local school fete at the weekend i got them cause  shape is good etc also the thing is there worn on the base as anything are they well used 20th century glasses or are they earlier than i thought interesting as ive always read wear is hard to fake but maybe they are just well used wine glasses any thoughts welcome.Glasses are 61/4" tall 3" foot and 31/4"rim very heavy lead crystal i think.The double knop stem appears to have air bubble trapped for decoration, Very little in the way of air bubbles inside the glass the odd bit of frit.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Old Glass Man Required Please Help????
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
Hi , They look to be as you guessed early 20th c ,at best late 19thc , they could also be later in the 20thc , the wear does look a little contrived with many of the scratches appearing to travel in the same direction , possible indicating a little assistance in the wears creation ,country of origin could be many , England, France, Belgium ,would all be possabilities ,as you say a good size for the glugging of wine and a set of 8 too ,although to me I would not put them into my old glass time frame , but could still be 100 yrs or so old ,or considerably later !!  sorry not to have been a great help .

cheers ,
                 Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
Thanks Peter,
Thanks for information only cost little money so im gonna use them a bit myself  :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »
In the 1980s when I went to a lot of antique fairs it was not uncommon to see stallholders sitting behind their table with a sheet of emery over their thigh and a glass in the hand busily adding wear to the base. Not hard to do at all, but as Peter said easy to recognise. Genuine wear is extremely fine scratches that are each usually very short and totally random in direction - it is not possible to fake that, except by emulating normal use which would be very time consuming.

The trade term for this distressing practice  ::) was 'distressing' and is found in all types of antiques, blowtorches and coolant to crackle pottery glazes, chain beating to improve not old enough furniture. The ingenuity of the unscrupulous is remarkable.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand