No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz Olympia? a Kralik version? plain large iridescent pale green uranium vase  (Read 2068 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've run out of ideas and searches on this one so any help much appreciated please.  Just to add, it has come out more green in the photo than it really is, it's paler than it appears but I can't seem to match it properly so apologies.
I thought this might be a Loetz Olympia vase when I bought it.  And when I compare it to my other vase, it feels the same, thickness, weight, etc, all feels right.  But there are some odd anomalies.  
- It isn't quite as pale as my other Olympia vase
- It doesn't have as much iridescent goldy tints my other vase does
- It's a strange very contemporary shape although I am sure it is old
- The shape is very plain, although I know Olympia could be quite restrained in decoration and shape
- The pontil mark is ground but not polished
- It has what appears to be a strange etched mark on the base of an S and a stylised flower and stalk - although that could just be an odd mark which ocurred naturally when I look at it under a magnifying glass (it's absolutly minute) I can see the petals of the flower with a little point at the end of each petal.

It has so much wear round the rim of the base where it sits that it is etched into a matt ring. It is 8" tall x 5 1/4" wide.

Help needed as I'm out of ideas and can't reconcile the pontil mark to it being a Loetz piece.
Many thanks :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
This bucket shape isn't nearly as contemporary as one might assume - Monart made buckets, just as an example.

Does it glow in UV? Sorry I can't be of more use. :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Sue
I was just posting more pics of the mark as you posted  :sun:
 I'd forgotten Monart did some very sleek or plainer shapes, you're right.  It's just quite strange to see something that shape wise is so very different to many of their pieces.  However I have the other one which is equally plain but with the addition of the prunts makes it a little different somehow.
Can you see the mark I posted?  it's a tiny tiny thing, but I'm sure it 's there.  Sorry just to add, yes it glows.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I noticed the extra pics  :sun:
- I don't know if your flower is a flower or a sort of crystalline-looking extraneous mark of some sort - satinised stuff does tend to make every teeny-tiny flaw show up like a beacon.
But I'd say there is good (considerable?) age-related wear to the base edge- it's rufffffff!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
It looks more modern to me. it's not Loetz. the pontil is cut but not polished. it also just has a different look than olympia does. I doubt Kralik as well. No idea who did make it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks for looking  :sun:
I don't think it is Loetz either, too many things not quite right about it.  It is a lot paler than the photo depicts but my camera will not pick up the shade for some reason.  I do still believe it is quite old though.
I'll keep looking .
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I agree that this is definitely old glass and not more modern...... I would not rule Kralik out on this one at all.......    Their pontil marks also cover quite the range in terms of finish...... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Craig.  Hopefully one with a similar finish will come up at some point to help id.
Something else struck me whilst I was putting it away as well, my Loetz Olympia vase has a polished shiny interior and the iridescence is only on the exterior.  On this one the iridescence is on the interior as well.  Are all Loetz Olympia/Loetz glatt pieces shiny on the interior do you know?  I'm still sure it is an old piece and I haven't found a  green similar yet but I'll keep looking.   Is Loetz a definite no no due to the pontil mark only or are there other reasons why as well, or is it just 'instinct' and experience? I'm just trying to learn a little more about why or why not for things.
thanks  :sun:
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand