No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian style satin glass lidded box - printed figures decoration & marked  (Read 4014 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I love this box.  It reminds me of Norwegian and Swedish ceramics I've owned.  I'm interested if anyone has seen one somewhere.   I suspect it may well be new'ish' and possibly mass produced but I haven't a clue.  I've never seen one like it anywhere  (not that that means anything).
edited to add - It may well not be Scandinavian at all, it had a label on it from Dubrovnik, just a paper label with what seemed to be the name of a store saying 'dubrovkinja DUBROVNIK' printed in blue ink and handwritten numbers 20264- .  I took it off as it was on the picture.
It's satin glass on the exterior but polished interior.
Mould blown, the rim of the base of the box is cut and polished and bevelled on the outside edge.  The rim of the lid seems slightly thicker and is cut and ground neatly but not polished, bevelled on both inside and outside edge.  The decoration I think? is transfer printed and it is 'signed' or marked with initials.
Quite large about 12.5cm wide by 7cm high and quite heavy, seems to have a thickish base, doesn't feel flimsy.
Is this a department store piece?  Any thought please? Many thanks  :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
aha, now I've looked up the label, I've found a newspaper article from 1987 that says Dubrovkinja was a state owned company that had shops in Dubrovnik and that many of the shops had numbers (three digits it seems) rather than names.  Perhaps the numbers on my label correspond somewhere to what may have been a shop in Dubrovnik.  I wonder if this is perhaps Yugoslavian glass or crystal (it 'pings' well  ;D )?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
OK, I've looked more closely at this and I'm about to ask a stupid question possibly  ::)
Is this printed or is it actually painted on?  
I've attached two close ups taken through a magnifying glass for clarity.
thanks for looking
Also the lid of the box is very slightly concave.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I would say it was screen printed. There are no brush marks (hand painted) and no easy discernible dots (transfer), just sort of run together dots.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think you might need Robbo for this, M. :thup:
The images look very similar to Figgio Flint pottery I have and have had - and look as if they're by the designer of stuff called Arabica - but there's every possibilty I've got that all muddled up and am just needing a cup of decent coffee (arabica).
I agree it looks screen printed. That's good.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you both :)
The design is raised and textured to touch.  It looks very similar to the bark of the trees on my Legras vase in real life.  There aren't any dots run together if you see what I mean, but no brush strokes either but I know what you mean Christine and I'm off to check out screen printing on glass now  :)
Sue it reminds me a lot of Figgjo's Lotte designs (by Oliver) and also the Bjorn Winblad designs,  but there are differences and most notably in the hands but also the eyes/mouths although stylistically very similar in overall effect.  I've been trawling Arabia Wartsila etc, and not found those hands.  The initials on the signature may help perhaps?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I think when you screen print with something as thick as this must have been you get that sort of textured effect I can see because a screen is a fine net and the "paint" is squished through the unblanked off areas.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It was Bjorn Winblad I was thinking about,  :-[  but I still think Robbo's your man for this, he knows a lot about Scandi designers of this ilk.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Christine thanks  :rah:   I was being particularly dim, but now understand.
Sue, no problem I knew what you meant  :sun:
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
'Bjorn Wiinblad' with two  i 's - apologies
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia