No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Nouveau? ruby flashed acid etched & also replacement sandblasted?doors  (Read 913 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've been meaning to put these on here for some time now but never got round to it.  Partly just to share and partly for some queries.  They are some internal doors from our hallway.  
I'm interested to know whether these would be classed as art nouveau in design? (the red panels) as part of our house was built in 1885 ish and they were original to the house.  They sit alongside an Art Nouveau large cast iron fire grill.
We had two of the panels replaced (after the removal company managed to put two legs from a table through two different panels of  the doors simultaneously  :grrr:) and the bottom right hand non coloured panel is a replacement with a Pilkington design (I think... could be wrong there).
I've put two sets on - one is the original panel in close up (acid etched?) and the other is the replacement panel  -has this been sandblasted or also acid etched please?  The flashing doesn't look as deep on the photos as it is in reality, but it's pretty substantially thick especially on the old panels.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
First is acid, second is sandblasted. You would be hard pressed to find someone to acid etch a panel today. Third image also looks sandblasted (?) but is a little out of focus too. Nice doors.

While sand-blasting was feasible in 1885 it was probably not capable of such work, but I may be wrong on that.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ooh good, my searching for information is getting better  ;D thanks Frank.
Yes the third photo is slightly blurred - it was a nightmare trying to get the focus and some light to really show off the glass properly (probably why I gave up putting them on before now) - however all the original panels are see through and have that lovely acid etched finish.   The two new panels look identical on casual inspection but when you look very close up you can see they are not as see through as the originals. We had them replaced 12 years ago,and I thought they did a great job on them and also making a blue star cut identical to the others (good job the insurance was paying though).
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
You could hand polish the replacements. Might take a while but it will give you some very Zen evenings  ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Oooh I do like a challenge  :24: so how do I do that?
m

Offline krsilber

• Members
Wow, those are awesome!  I've never seen anything like that in a residence.  It must have been heartbreaking to see the damage.  I'm glad you got good replacements.

The last photo looks like etched work to me, judging by the crisp outline with just a bit eaten away outside the outline.  That could happen with etched work, while the directional spray of abrasives would be less likely to stray beyond the edges of the resist.

I'm not sure I'd call them Nouveau, though there's certainly overlap between Victorian and Nouveau styles.  If they were Nouveau I would expect more naturalistic intertwining vines and asymmetry.  That's just my take on it, though.
...(edit, after seeing Frank's latest post) Polishing those babies uniformly without going outside the lines would be a challenge!  Maybe with tape over the colored parts you could do it, but then there's the added challenge of cutting the tape to match exactly the areas to be polished.  I don't know if it's worth the time and effort involved, unless you're ready for a LOT of Zen evenings!

...(and another edit, after seeing your post) Maybe with a Dremel, using emory-impregnated tips?

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
No machines, will get to hot! I think a flat pointed stick, water and abrasive, but ask an engraver. No need to mask, just rub with care.

Offline krsilber

• Members
I've used a Dremel to engrave glass, even to drill holes in it.  You can always use it with water (I did for that sort of thing), or use a felt/cloth tip with polishing compound if worried about heat, but as long as you move an emory tip around, which you'd want to do anyway to get an even polish, it shouldn't be a problem.  Doing it by hand would take forever.  That's why engravers use machines!

...I just tried an emory tip with one of my own silly pieces and it worked quite well, with almost no noticeable heating of the glass (it's thick glass, but still...).
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok Frank thank you - so that may be a job for when the I have LOTS of time then  ;D  I once did a very large intricate stencil on the ceiling that I had made myself, to go around a light fitting.  It took days to get it on the ceiling (and nearly broke my back hanging off the top of a tall ladder) so it was absolutely accurate.  Then I never got round to painting it in.  In the end 4 years later hubby painted over it  ::)
Kristi thanks  :sun: they are my favourite piece of glass in the house despite all my vases. I think you're right about them being classed as Victorian.
m

Offline angel2

• Members
 :angel: :angel:

Lovely doors, fab colour.  :thup:

angel2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum