No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MYSTERY MARK ö RNo?7?7?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
MYSTERY MARK ö RNo?7?7?
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »
Just when you think you have seen it all something comes along to prove you havnt.

I have an obviously vintage non-english candlestick made in pressed (poss lead/crystal) glass. On the glass sconce is a mark which at first appears to be just a regd number but on closer inspection I discovered the following

ö RNo?7?7?    so I have a umlaut o followed by what appears to be a 5 figure Regd number.

I accept that regd numbers were given to some imported items but I have never seen one with an additional mark before it. The only reference I can find as a trademark is for Oetel Glass, initially of Czechoslovakia then after 1945 Germany.

Can anyone throw any light on this or am I way off the mark.

Thanks in advance

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: MYSTERY MARK
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »
Oesterreich - anything starting with an o umlaut would be Austrian. Think Riedel...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi Ivo
Thanks for the input but on my search about the umlaut according to Wiki it is either Scandinavian, German or Austrian. The mark was def used by Oetel who were initially czech then later German.
You know sometimes when you just get that feeling you arnt going to solve something :huh:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
You have got it right although they were not known for pressed glass, they were making crystal, whether lead or the Bohemian Crystal I don't know.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »
... but "No" wouldn't be the right abbreviation in German language?
You'd expect "Nr" for "Nummer"...   ???
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »
The whole thing makes no sense.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
Any chance of a picture of the signature?  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
Well I agree the whole thing makes no sense.
Company's such as Jules Lang of London would import items from the continent and register them here in the UK, items can be found with English Registered Numbers which on the listings show as registered by for instance Jules Lang, when in fact the glass was made overseas. So the registered number mark would be in English ie RNo.......what is strange here is that in all the items I have seen that have been imported and registered with a UK No I have never seen the originating company's trademark or any other mark alongside the Rd No.
It was only that Oetel Glass used this mark that made me wonder, I do have to agree with Frank they were not known for their pressed glass (although they did produce it) and their early glass tends to be of high quality.
Unfortunately I cant photograph the mark, I struggle just to read it as it is so worn and on a curved surface so a photo would be impossible.  What I can say is that it is a 5 figure number which would date the item between 1884 - 1888 which looking at the style and the wear on the base of the item seems about right.
I suspect this is one of those mystery's I will never solve, I just wondered if anyone else had come across anything similar.

Regards

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
The chance that your  O-Umlaut is the Oertel mark is unthinkably small. It is not their style, not their technique, not their thing. The possibility that this design reg is actually from Austria, from Germany, from Canada or from elsewhere is much larger.

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
I would probably agree with you Ivo...I threw it in there just a  possibility...was it a trademark or something else?  Canada?...no way.  Austria/Germany/even Sweden I would agree are more of a possibility.  I have to say I have never seen the Umlaut used as an identification for a country so I still suspect its actually a trademark, and probably not Oertel...but that still brings me back to my original query ...Why?  Ive never in 30 years of collecting seen any mark precede a Rd No. I guess Ill have to burn even more midnight oil, and I suspect to no avail.

Thanks to all anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand