No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Handkerchief vase in NZ  (Read 662 times)

Offline haneti

• Members
Handkerchief vase in NZ
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:59 AM »
Can anyone please tell me whose mark is on the bottom of this vase, please? It does not lend itself to showing up in a photograph but is simple to describe: a square with a zig-zag line (as in a symbol for lightning) through it. Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Handkerchief vase in NZ
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
Welcome to the board, a photograph of the mark would still be very useful. You will probably need to use the macro (or close up) function on your camera, usually a button with a small flower icon needs to be pressed. Tilt the vase at different angles take a few photos and choose the best one. You can then add the photo to this thread by clicking reply and attaching the new photo.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
I find that the best way to del with awkward signatures is to take them at a very shallow angle so the "flat" part of the base reflects light and the engraved bit seems to be in black.  This method takes out hte effect of the pattern - which is strong in your case.  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35231.0.html about three quarters down page 1 I have given three examples tom show the effect.  Hope you find it useful.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline haneti

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Ok, sorry if I'm not using the right section here (newbie), bit here is a photo of the mark on the base, taken as advised.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »
A vaguely possible maker might be Stephen Skillitzi (Adelaide, Australia).  The mark could be an S with a square = S x S = SS (in algebraic notation).  You might be able to confirm that by contacting him with an address from Google.  If you can not make contact I am happy to email him on your behalf - however he will probably be happy to see a previous work as he was with my bit.  By the way he has been making glass since the very early 70s - my bowl/vase he dated as 1971-74 (see Photo)

Ross

Offline haneti

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:14:30 AM »
Hi Ross
I guess it could be an S scratched into the square... and, yes, thank you, I would be grateful if you could make the contact, I'm a total greenhorn in these things. It's an object I picked up at a market yesterday that others thought was ugly but, myself being an artist, I thought it just had that certain x factor that stood out.... Thank you.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:37:48 AM »
Just had a response from Stephen Skillitzi - not him and the signing is not one he knows.  I suggest you get in touch with Claudia Borella, president of the NZ Society of Artists in Glass for 2011 at http://www.claudiaborella.com/.  Send her both pictures but rotate the signature 90 degrees anti-clockwise and save it before you send.

Ross

Offline haneti

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:28:44 AM »
Oh, that's brilliant help, Ross. Thank you so much. Will do tomorrow and post any outcome. Thanks.

Offline haneti

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
Ross, I did as you suggested but received no reply from the person.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand