No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: powder box  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
powder box
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:38:09 AM »
Has anyone come across powder boxes like these? Milk glass satinated and decorated with vague spray decor jn geometric forms, or uncertain squiggles, or kitchy pictures. They date from the 1920s. In one of them I found a piece of paper with the note "Coty?" - but unable to find any confirmation of this. They may be German or they may be French - but so far never seen a hint of who made these. It may also have been packaging for talcum powder, of course...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline angel2

• Members
Re: powder box
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:59:48 AM »
 :angel: :angel:

Hi Ivo! All I can tell you is that Coty is a beauty products manufacturer (they say the biggest in the world). These pots look a little like face cream pots but of course, could hold anything.   

angel2

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »
I should have added diameter ranges 4-6" (10-15 cm), so they're definitely for compact powder with a *puff* on top.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
Ivo, I did a lot of research on the maker of an unusual vase marked Coty, some years back. Marcus was very helpful during my research.  We discovered that Coty made glass at La Chapelle-Saint-Mesmin, near Orleans in France. You can read about it on my old website (note this is my OLD geoities website that we cannot alter, change, add to etc. We just keep the payments up on it so that people can use it as archived information, but it is frozen in time). There are several linked pages to my article that include info on Coty, but this will take you to the first, main page.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Fircone.html
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
Hello Ivo,
Has anyone come across powder boxes like these? Milk glass satinated and decorated with vague spray decor jn geometric forms, or uncertain squiggles, or kitchy pictures. They date from the 1920s. In one of them I found a piece of paper with the note "Coty?" - but unable to find any confirmation of this. They may be German or they may be French - but so far never seen a hint of who made these. It may also have been packaging for talcum powder, of course...
here is a link to to my powder bowl - my first post! It matches your description.
I would now (as I've gained a little knowledge) describe it as mould blown.

I would not have guessed it was so old! It looks like Andy was in the money for age and origin - well done.  :hiclp:
Thanks Glen for the link
Cheers
Meegs

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »
whhoooopps,
Here is the link!

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31596.msg170972.html#msg170972

Hope it works!
Cheers
meegs

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
Hey thanks Meegs - your naughty lady is definitely first cousin to my butterfly. Your lady (garters, saucy, pipe, oolala) definitely pin her down to the early years of the 20th century - think Marlene Dietrich in the Blue Angel. I was beginning to despair I was the only one to own one...

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
Some time ago the Pressglas-Korrespondenz had a catalogue with sprayed on decorated glassware,
e.g. those egg-shaped lidded boxes. I can´t remember which else articles nor am I sure about the
glassworks... Reich perhaps? Unfortunately I don´t have them at hand at the moment... Do you get
the PK, Ivo?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Do you get the PK, Ivo?

I do but I must have missed this one - they are a bit large aren't they. I'll check the last dozen issues asap - thanks for the tip.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
Ivo, I did a lot of research on the maker of an unusual vase marked Coty, some years back. Marcus was very helpful during my research.  We discovered that Coty made glass at La Chapelle-Saint-Mesmin, near Orleans in France. You can read about it on my old website (note this is my OLD geoities website that we cannot alter, change, add to etc. We just keep the payments up on it so that people can use it as archived information, but it is frozen in time). There are several linked pages to my article that include info on Coty, but this will take you to the first, main page.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Fircone.html

Thanks Glen, finally got around to reading this fascinating story. I had already researched the perfume angle as I have a Lalique bottle, and of course the history of Saint Gobain who now only make flat glass. For the powder boxes it is less elevant - they are thin, blown, satinated and decorated so it is more likely they originate from a decoration oriented company like Leune or Wirths in Belgium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand