No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British Cranberry Handled Vase Or Mistaken Murano Again?  (Read 382 times)

Offline Scarvo

• Members
British Cranberry Handled Vase Or Mistaken Murano Again?
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
Do you think that this a British Vase or Murano Again?

Thankyou.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: British Cranberry Handled Vase Or Mistaken Murano Again?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
Whatever it is, it is not cranberry glass. That is pink not red. It look modern and not English.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Scarvo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
It was in the loft of my grandmothers, with lots of other pieces which do not look like this at all.  They looked as though instead of washing and putting away they were put away in a hurry, they were all covered in dust and were dirty, I have washed the pieces then taken photographs of them.  I think that this must have been in the loft a long time as the newspaper was dated 1967.  Sorry about the cranberry, I thought it was red.

I have attached some photographs of the bottom of the vase and the sides, if it isn't British I would love to know where this came from.

She also had loads of different types of crystal/cut glass bowls and vases, I haven't a clue about them either....

There's a postcard from Stoke my grandmother sent my aunt, she mentioned that she had bought a beautiful little red vase from a curio shop there, so I was wondering if this were the glass in question and if it were British or not.  The postcard was dated 1958 but then there are other red vases, a brandy glass/vase so it may be referring to something completely differnt - just a stab in the dark.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
I have something very similar in green and I have seen one in blue with the generic 'made in Italy' sticker - so we' re probably looking at Empoli again.

Offline Scarvo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
Oh, wonderful, do you have any idea if it ties with the dates on the postcard?  I'd love to be able to link it in some way with the card referring to the red vase.  Lustrousstone previously said it is modern glass - how old can modern be?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
that would be speculative, your speculation is as good as mine. WE COULD SAY 'second or third quarter of the 20th century, give or take a few years" - would that make you happy?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand