No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Canadian Question -- Missing Link??  (Read 10303 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Canadian Question -- Missing Link??
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:20:30 AM »
Hi there:

Over the years I have stumbled upon things that look like Chalet glass but where signed on the bottom with Canadian Glass Art or Canada Art Glass.  This is not the first time in about 5 years that I have seen this.   Just saw one at an Auction here....

Who are they?  What is the missing link here?  Where do they fit in all of this.  Again, I did once find some info also about this company as they were down East, and were competing with Chalet Glass....but that info was found a long time ago, and do not remember where I even saw it.

I just figured it was nonsense.....but over the last 5 years, I have seen a few pieces marked this way.  I have been steering clear of them, just for the fact of the unknown.  The next one I find, I will purchase as I want to see if there is a missing link about this company.  They appear to be very well made -- and I am just wondering.  Anyone else heard this, or have seen it?

thanks   :kissy:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Canadian Question -- Missing Link??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:03:44 AM »
Rose:

Nobody knows who or what signed glass "Canadian Art Glass."  None of the guys who worked at Chalet had heard of it, although they knew all the other companies very well (Lorraine, EDAG, Chantilly).  The signature is so bad that there was some thought that somebody had marked it for their own collection, but too much of it turns up all across Canada. The glass itself is of decent quality. A mystery yet to be solved. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
Found this article "...After I left Sheridan College in 1976, I moved to Calgary and went on to work for Canadian Art Glass - a company that at the time, did not have very many clients and were looking to increase their exposure. I was initially hired on as Production Manager, which soon channeled me into my next position as General Manager. While there, I helped open markets in the United States and established fifteen new major accounts that would soon carry Canadian Art Glass. I stayed there for two years until the company packed up and moved to Ontario. I had just bought a house in Calgary and decided that I didn't want to move back to Ontario so I left Canadian Art Glass (and thank God because within a year they were out of business!) ..." that is on this page:
http://www.robertheld.com/company_history.html
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
Decoqueen:

Thanks for the information, the first real factual piece I've seen. I'll pass on the link to someone who is very involved in the history of Chalet and has been trying to find out about Canadian Art Glass for a few years.

Robert Held, btw, has had a furnace in Vancouver for many years.

Again, many thanks.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
Found this article "...After I left Sheridan College in 1976, I moved to Calgary and went on to work for Canadian Art Glass - a company that at the time, did not have very many clients and were looking to increase their exposure. I was initially hired on as Production Manager, which soon channeled me into my next position as General Manager. While there, I helped open markets in the United States and established fifteen new major accounts that would soon carry Canadian Art Glass. I stayed there for two years until the company packed up and moved to Ontario. I had just bought a house in Calgary and decided that I didn't want to move back to Ontario so I left Canadian Art Glass (and thank God because within a year they were out of business!) ..." that is on this page:
http://www.robertheld.com/company_history.html

Super info there  :hiclp:

I was not finding anything much, and always was wondering about this company - thus why I posted the post here.   Would be interesting to find something out about this *missing link* about Canadian Glass.  I have to agree to it looks like well made Glass too.  Now that I am on the look-out for a piece, probably will not find any.

Hmmmm, Sounds like they were from (or started) at Calgary, Alberta by this quibble of a quote.....then moved to Ontario. Very Interesting Note you have provided!!!

Thanks deco.queen!!  :thup:

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:03 AM »
Hello

A Canadian topic lost in the USA section, pity!   :thud:

Everything that I can find on Canadian Art Glass in Calagary mentions glass sheets for selling into the stained glass market.  I have submitted a question for Mr. Held on the history of the firm and if they made any Chalet-like products.

Sid

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 02:50:43 AM »
Let me look at a few Henderson Directories next time I'm at the central library and see what I can find. Alternatively, Mr. Held does sell at a local store that has been around for almost as long. I know one of the managers there, I can ask Don what he might know.

Carolyn

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
Hello

A Canadian topic lost in the USA section, pity!   :thud:

Everything that I can find on Canadian Art Glass in Calagary mentions glass sheets for selling into the stained glass market.  I have submitted a question for Mr. Held on the history of the firm and if they made any Chalet-like products.

Sid

Sure would be good to find some true history on this Glass works.....and start to document its glass too, as a Missing link.

** MOD - can we add Canadian Glass to the Topic Category, or a sub-topic of this link...or however you want to do it.  I think the Canadian glass needs it tag word too.

Thanks, just MHO too  :thup:  ;D

Might be worthy to do that since there appears to be not much on Canadian Art Glass Company at all on the NET..... Us ( the GMB) might be the first place to start some *detailed unknown History* of this company nobody knows much about -- even here in Canada. 

GMB is a Research board on all types of Glass....lets be the first to try to Solve this Puzzle of this Canadian Glass company with not much history ATM, and possibility build on that here.

Thanks

:ooh:

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:24 AM »
I have submitted a question for Mr. Held on the history of the firm and if they made any Chalet-like products.

I have heard from Mr. Held:  "Yes, I worked for Canadian Art Glass from 1976 - 78.  It was Canada's only hand-rolled sheet glass factory.  We employed about 10 - 12 workers."

It would seem that they were not the source of the Chalet-like pieces so we need to keep looking.

Sid

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Darn! Did he know of any markers for art glass?
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand