No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peill & Putzler "Jack In The Pulpit" Type Vase.  (Read 602 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Peill & Putzler "Jack In The Pulpit" Type Vase.
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
Just posting this because I recalled a forum member mentioning that they liked their work.  This one is ever so faintly signed on the bottom.  Makes me wonder how many of their pieces have had the signatures fade over time.  I've no idea how to date their work.  I don't know much about them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Peill & Putzler "Jack In The Pulpit" Type Vase.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:45:37 AM »
This pattern is called "Flamingo". Personally I have no idea when exactly it was designed, or for how long it was in production. One seller that at least seems to know quite a few Peill shapes by name (he might own catagolues) puts it at 1974, but I really can't say how reliable that is.

Though I sort of specialize in collecting Peill & Putzler vases nowadays, but I still haven't come across any catalogues so far that I can use. There is one book on Peill & Putzler that was published in the early 90's. It features only one chapter on their designs, and sadly most of the designs aren't dated, nor are the designers mentioned by name.

As for general knowledge, there is a chapter on them in 20th Century Factory Glass by Lesley Jackson. One of their main designers seems to have been Horst Tüsselmann, who created some very interesting deep etched vases in the early 60s, but unfortunately I can't find much information on him either. I've come across some early 60s French exhibition catalogues (with almost no pictures sadly), which invariably gives their designer as "Atelier Peill & Putzler" (including ones that are now generally attributed to Tüsselmann (again reliability is quite an issue with so little solid literature).

Peill & Putzler nowadays no longer exists as a glassworks. In the early nineties they moved production from West Germany to East Germany, and they ceased production somewhere in the mid 00's.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Re: Peill & Putzler "Jack In The Pulpit" Type Vase.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
Thank you, Astrid, for the thorough information.  I'd not expected that the vase would actually have a name.  I've been looking at more of this company's work and I like what I see.  I had thought I had seen a member here that collected their work.

All the best,

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand