No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Nouveau? French? Scenic enamelled vase with bird (Pheasant?)  (Read 1124 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Art Nouveau? French? Scenic enamelled vase with bird (Pheasant?)
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »
Clear base and cut, polished and bevelled rim.  Base is neat and just reflects the mould.  Measures 13xm tall by 9cm wide.
I guess it's a long shot on finding out who enamelled it to be honest, but it is beautifully painted.  There looks like there was a sig but it is now so worn I can't make much out at all.
Any thoughts much appreciated - I've trawled hundreds of pictures and all the makers I could think of - maybe it isn't French?
thanks so much  :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Art Nouveau? French? Scenic enamelled vase with bird (Pheasant?)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
This is where there appeared to have been a signature - not a great shot but the enamel used in the sig is different to any other colour enamel used on the vase,
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:27 AM »
Possibly - nay probably - your vase originated in the workshop of Pierre Jost which existed from 1918 to 1936 in Dolhain, Belgium.  The signature would have read P.Jost - not that I managed to spot one in your picture.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
 :kissy: Thank you Ivo!! I'm off to try and investigate a little further - a new name for me.
the sig, I think, was where there are what looks like old drips of coffee on the vase  ;D near the bottom of the vase in the sig pic I posted on it's own. It could of course just be old drips of coffee though, but I do think it is the remains of a sig.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand