No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: GLASS MUSHROOM PAPERWEIGHT  (Read 513 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
GLASS MUSHROOM PAPERWEIGHT
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
Any ID thoughts on this glass mushroom please. 3 1/2 inches diameter with spiral stem. unmarked, but I thought that the green and whitewas similar to some I had seen from Isle of Wight

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: GLASS MUSHROOM PAPERWEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »
There is an outside chance this might be Island Studio Glass (Guernsey).       Although the larger vases etc. did usually include the 'three lions pontil', it is a fact that smaller novelty items such as paperweights etc. did not, although originally (presumably) all their pieces would have had the black and gold label.      I'm suggesting this solely on the basis that I can't think of another output that produced this randomly blotched surface decoration - see the attached pix. of my 'pear' (although the label is shot to pieces, there is sufficient remaining to confirm the provenance).            No doubt others will now tell me that there are shed loads of factories that offer this type of decoration, but thought it worthwhile to mention this connection as a possibility, particularly as 'mushrooms' would have been a typical tourist shape for them.        'Guernsey's production has, of course, long since ceased - the larger wares often show their trademark 'daisy flower' top rim.
What do other people think?? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Good Morning John,  it is also worth asking Neo Glass Studios as they did produce mushrooms with twisted stems like this one and I have seen others in the past.
Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Thanks for suggestions I now have something to work with hopefully,

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum