No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large goblet - finely engraved - id help please  (Read 510 times)

Offline SimonD

• Members
Large goblet - finely engraved - id help please
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
I've another glass/goblet that is proving elusive to pin down.

This one is very large and measures 7 3/4 inches high, 4 1/2in across bowl, nd 3 5/8in across foot. It is quite heavy. The large flared bowl sits on a knopped and facetted stem with a broad plain foot. The bowl has a crest - above, a horse head on a shield between wings; and below a shield with a standing horse surrounded by swags. The motto in the ribbon reads "IN PROPOSITIS TENAX" (which I presume is "Tenacious in Purpose"). Surrounding these are some very finely decorated oak branches (with leaves and acorns.) It is very finely engraved. The lower part of bowl is separated by four closely spaced bands and decorated with twisting cut columns. The stem has a bladed knop above a nicely done diamond facetted knop, with the lower part of the stem facetted to have a octagonal cross-section. There is significant wear to foot, suggesting some age.

I was hoping that the motto may help identify the glass, but my internet searches have yielded nothing. The glass is almost too large to be used for drinking wine (unless you are a big drinker!), so I wonder if it was actually a trophy for a horse race? The theme of the engraving and motto would certainly suggest this.

My guess is that the glass is English in manufacture, but it doesn't seem to be in a popular style that I can find in my research. The banding below the engraving is unusual. I've seen this on a Baccarat glass I own, plus other Baccarat pieces in books - but am reluctant to jump to the conclusion it is French on that basis.

If anyone has any clues to age or origin, I'd be very grateful for it.
Thanks!

SimonD

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand