No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium centre piece with vase.  (Read 680 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Uranium centre piece with vase.
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
I had this down as Bagley - but now I'm certain it's not.   I've tried Sowerby, but don't think it theirs, and I've looked on Pamelas glasspavillon without luck, and don't think it's Davidson.    Can only think I've missed it somewhere.      I know Fenton did this custardy yellowish/green, but don't know if they ever did a piece like this.     I haven't tried the masterbuchs, but I dread having to go all through those :cry:    Does anyone recognize the design please.    About 6.5" tall, and about 9" in diameter, with a frosted matt surface everywhere, holes at the bottom of the frog, and a really great glow.  Thanks for looking, and fingers crossed someone will know whose it is :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Uranium centre piece with vase.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »
Hi Paul, I haven't seen the vase part before, but the bowl is Sowerby, pattern 2549, so I assume the vase must be Sowerby too.

Catalogue Link

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
oh, missed it didn't I :pb:       Thanks very much Wayne, and I've tried the CD again and you're right I can see the No. 2549  bowl/dish, although it seemed to be in the one catalogue only.    My eye was looking for the pair, and didn't find them of course.
So it's a mis-match/marriage do you think  -  I don't see the frog/vase (or have I missed that too).       It's odd that the moulded fluting of the frog seems to echo a similar pattern on the bowl rim - plus they are both seem identical matt/frosted colours, all of which made me think they were matching pieces.   Is this colour of uranium known from Sowerby anyone know?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
very interesting, and thanks for the linked pictures, which I assume you are suggesting are Sowerby because of the lemonish colour they have in common - although the last but one piece does look rather insipid.
Are you suggesting that the Sowerby catalogues are incomplete or perhaps were never fully documented to include all of their production in the first place??
I do agree that my two pieces seem to belong together, so  -  what am I offered for this unique pair ;)    thanks again.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
It's not always just colour. I don't really know, but there are uncatalogued pieces such as the elephant butter dish I now know of and the roses bowl the stump lady is often found in. The catalogues are what was for sale to the retailers and wholesalers. What we don't see is the commissioned stuff. We know that Woolworth's, for example, commissioned exclusive glassware (some of the Sherdley stuff). Why not Sowerby items? Chance made a lot of commission items and it was Nazeing's stock in trade. Pressing was cheap and cheerful once you had the mould.

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Hi Paul, A late reply but I bought the same Sowerby #2549 design bowl with the same vase centre piece on Sunday and was trying to research the pair and found your post.  I don't think they're a marriage - they do seem to match very well.  If they're turning up as pairs this seems to support the idea that they're both Sowerby. 
Just thought it would be useful to let you know it's not a one-off pairing  :)
Marie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
Marie, we are such a lucky pair, to each have what appears to be the only two extant examples of this stunning Sowerby design in uranium.  If only I could keep mine - life is a constant battle to arrange and re-arrange pieces, looking for that nook or cranny - somewhere that I can locate in the shed or loft or bedroom allowing me to store yet one more piece of glass - and although I love the glow mine will shortly be going to a good and deserving new home.    Thanks for sharing, and I hope you live in a castle and have the space to store endless amounts of glass :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand