No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small white enamelled on clear glass vase with flowers  (Read 931 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Small white enamelled on clear glass vase with flowers
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
This is another mystery to me.  I think it is quite old - lots of genuine base wear and the clear glass just looks old somehow.  Mould blown, cut, polished and bevelled at the rim (sorry no pic of the base at the mo but will do one), lovely white enamelled decoration with hand enamelled raised  flowers all round the body and then a colourful decoration of enamelled/painted flowers at the neck.  Measures 3.5" tall or 8.8cm and about 3 1/4" at widest part.  I thought it may be French perhaps or English? no idea why though  :-\ and can't find anything similar at all.
Any thoughts much appreciated  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Small white enamelled on clear glass vase with flowers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »
base shot - this is the best I could get, it makes it look undulating because of the reflections but it isn't.  It's neat, smooth and perhaps just is slightly concave towards the centre.  But it does have the sort of pit marks that can be seen on the photo.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
Remarkable enamelling! I would have thought Bohemian turn of century (1890-1910ish) most likely. Although the bright flowers are like those seen on French pottery.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
Thank you Frank  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
I thought I'd post this link here even though there may not be a connection between my piece and the linked box, because it is the only similar thing I have found.  Anyone else see a faint resemblance or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely perhaps  :-\

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34348.msg185862.html#msg185862

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »
IMHO, I would say it was an old hobby piece and rather nicely done.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »
thanks for looking Christine  :) the enamelled white curlicues and flowers on the body are thick enamel and fired on - would it be possible for a hobby decorator be able to fire a piece?  I'd have thought cold enamel would be likely but fired on maybe not?
I had been thinking along similar lines though - a) I was thinking it looks as though it has been designed and enamelled to 'look like' overlay glass (ie a poor man's substitute if you like) and also b) there is no gilt on it (couldn't afford it?) and lastly, c) the little glass piece is lovely, well finished polished at the rim etc, but doesn't have the thickness and heft of a more expensive piece - but that may just be my complete lack of experience in handling glass.  I can't find anything like it, but I have to say looking at it, and then comparing to much of the enamel work I've found, it is of an excellent  quality.  
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
Glass and china painting classes were run for ladies of leisure. No reason why there couldn't have been access to a small kiln. The quality of the painting certainly far outweighs the quality of the glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
Flat enamelling possibly, but with all due respect this type of enamelling is too professional and a Bohemian development of the 19th Century. The enamel is mixed with a material, I forget what, that causes it to swell on firing.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:13:07 AM »
ok thanks :)  I will keep looking, but I must have searched literally hundreds of images of enamelled glass in various forms for things  and not found anything similar ...or indeed any Bohemian enamelled glass that doesn't seem also to have some form of gilding on it mostly  :-\
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand