No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kralik? Harlequin style  (Read 809 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Kralik? Harlequin style
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
Hi all,

This arrived today, one of my ebay buys. I bought it because it reminded me of my Kralik Harlequin Opalescent...soooo opinions on whether anyone agrees with me? The difference is the base... and this one has gold and silver in it. But I still love it anyway. Has a chip that wasnt mentioned in the auction...so debating on what to do with that now. You be the judge on the maker.... I'll have to do 2 posts to show comparison...
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Kralik? Harlequin style
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
The base and the damage :(
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:33:07 AM »
This is definitely a piece of Kralik, and is a variant of Harlequin Opalescent I have not seen before. The upper portion of the piece is done in what is called the Wave decor. The silver and gold in it are actually pieces of Mica which they liked to use also.  

Attached image is a crimped fan by Kralik in the wave decor.

Very interesting piece.  Nice find.
Wish I had found it....  ;D

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »
Thank you so much Craig :) I really value your opinion and I'm so pleased I followed my instinct with this one  :hiclp:
Trudy

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:40:51 AM »
The popped surface bubble is unfortunate, but not entirely surprising.....  I would have purchased it, even with knowledge of the damage, as it is quite unusual....

Craig

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
Honestly not trying to be disagreeable, however semantics sometimes get in the way. Personally I do not consider this piece damaged. Granted it is not perfect, but the popped bubble (some of which stay stable for decades) to me is simply a byproduct of the manufacturing process in this case while damage (at least to me) chips, cracks, etc. occur outside the  realm of manufacturing processes. I would consider this simply a structural flaw that occurred during the original manufacturing process, unfortunate it popped yes, but I believe damaged seems is a bit harsh in this case. Very nice piece bye the way & if Craig had not pointed it out I would never have thought of Kralic. Ken  

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
I agree with Ken, Although we call it damage it really is not....  Not like a chip or crack.....

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand