No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burgh Island Hotel — Peacock Bar wall lights — Walsh Vesta?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
See Peacock Bar in Burgh Island Hotel.   These wall lights are not too clear in this view.   However the set of four lights appear in more detail in a BBC Flog It repeat broadcast yesterday (Saturday 14 January 2012), available for a few days in the UK here.   Coverage starts at 43 minutes into the programme.

These lovely Deco wall lights could well be from the Walsh Vesta range designed by the sculptor Walter Gilbert, sometimes but not always marked G.Sc.R.fec.   Do you know?  What do you think?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
I want that waistcoat  ;D ;D

No mention of a very reasonable piece of Monart Bernard, you sly old fox?? ;) :)

As for the lights, I did wonder about Hailware or Hailglass, since the more I find out about them the more surprised I get. They produced some amazing Art Deco lighting in particular, so at a pinch it could also be them. However I felt the the depth of the relief design, and the mounts the glass shades are set in, might well make them Continental.

The jury's out I fear.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Nigel — there's an almost identical random geometric Deco design on the Jobling 2598 Cigarette Box and Ash Tray.   Do you know any more about the lighting panels by Jobling mentioned in Hajdamach II?

I asked Janet for a waistcoat when the programme was broadcast on Saturday.   It would go nicely with my genuine Dark Side of the Moon tie which I've always thought very appropriate for a glass dealer!   My current full regalia includes the tie, my Maxwell tartan waistcoat, and real socks.   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand