No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown - millefiori compact cane paperweight.  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Unknown - millefiori compact cane paperweight.
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
Hi, Anyone able to identify this millefiori glass paperweight?  Dia. 6.1cm,  height 4.6cm. Polished flat pontil 3.7cm including a chamfered edge measuring 0.5cm wide. Viewed from the base the canes are shaped concaved and do not lie flat, parallel with the base surface.  The circumference of the polished pontil is irregular.   The canes vary in dia. with multiples of smaller canes cluttered together within the darker areas of the paperweight.  I have looked on various sites and posts within the GMB and unable to identify this pariticular pattern design.  Having very little knowledge of paperweights, any help will be appreciated.  I have tried to concentrate my search base upon the canes that are yellow, with white outer rim as I assumed these would probably assist me with my search.  Under magnification I am unable to see any markings/signature to the canes or base area.  The weight of the paperweight is 280g.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Unknown - millifiori compact cane paperweight.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »
Murano.
Possibly ALT or maybe Fratelli Toso or could be a. n. other.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Unknown - millefiori compact cane paperweight.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
Hi, How weird is that!  I have just been looking on Ebay Item number: 150724808538.  Even though this is not the same, however, does bare some similarities, don't you think? Oh! thanks for you quick response.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Hi Oitis,

Many Murano weights have similar style canes. I am not good at tying Murano canes to a particualr maker, but other folk might be able to assist with that.

The overal look of your weight is what I call a "carpet of flowers" (rather than a simple "scrambled" design) and it is that look that I tend to associate with being possibly ALT, with Fratelli Toso being also possible.
KevinH

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »
Hi KevinH,   I will focus my attention and search as being Murano or ALT, but will retain my option of approach to other avenues, that's  if more comes to light.  Thanks for your possible leads.  :thup:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:28 AM »
Hi Otis, not much information concerning ALT available what I can tell though is the pieces I have seen have all been signed?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IlVWg15KI4I/TwL87uaEgWI/AAAAAAAAVMU/NyctOXQOoW4/s640/SDC10138.JPG

Chris

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:56:08 AM »
Hi all, That's a nice paperweight you have got there Chris.     In response to your message, does that rule out as not being ALT, or is there some that have been released as unsigned? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand