No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Close concentric millefiori paperweight - Unknown  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Close concentric millefiori paperweight - Unknown
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Hi all,  I purchased this paperweight along with others as a job lot.  This particular paperweight along with another one which I will post some time this week, attracted my attention, due to it's close concentric design.  I first thought it could be a perthshire.  I have no idea and not able to find one of a very similar design.  It is a very heavy paperweight and weighs approx. 700g.   The height is approx. 6.8cm with a dia. 8.8cm.  My focus of attention in order of finding any leads were based solely upon the centre white cane and the outer red star shape canes.  There are no other visible markings that I can identify in order to assist me with my search.  The flat base is slightly polished and shows signs of wear.  On the base there is a small mark or imperfection......... I think?  The mark first led me to think it was Murano but the mark is smaller than the ones I have previously seen.  The mark is oval and concaved and measures approx. 0.4cm and about 1.4cm away from the outer base line.  I am unable at the moment to get a good picture of this.   Any help in identifying this, would be appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Close concentric millefiori paperweight - Unknown
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:23:24 AM »
Have you considered that it might be Chinese?

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:53:24 AM »
To be honest, no! But  an area I could do with researching.   I have a few others with similar designs and it would certainly be an area to explore.  Thanks!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »

Hi. I would vote for Chinese too.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:55:47 AM »
Cheers Alan, another one I can add to my Chinese collection.   :smg:

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:13:10 PM »
    Chinese yes and a reasonable one too. I realise "chinese" sort of conjours up a second rate weight but there are several made that can be very collectable if we consider price against artistic value. Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 01:55:02 AM »
And for extra confirmation, check out eBay (& elsewhere) for listings of Ann Primrose Murano Collection D'arte items.

See this eBay listing (item 120782781650) for an example with a very close cane match to one in Otis's weight - the red star centre with blue-white outers. That weight has a pettern that is typical of lots of Chinese work from at least ten years ago to current times.

And as far as I can tell, all of the other current eBay listings for "Ann Primrose" weights are for items with typically Chinese patterns and canes.
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
   So its chinese origin or chinese canes but with a murano label attached.   
  Recently 3 or 4 Murano weight makers were hauled to court by the government because of putting Murano labels to Chinese imports.  Must have been cheaper than making them theirselves. Roger.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:08 AM »
Hi all, Thanks for your info. however,  somewhat confused. ::).  I am very much enclined to agree though, that the Paperweight on Ebay is from the same source as mine, especially paying close attention to the canes that are very similar or should I say, the same.  I can rule out Murano, but bare in mind I am no expert,  as the quality compared to others I have seen is just not there.  I am still going to go along the lines that mine is Chinese.  :thup:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
???

Are the older Chinese ones worth collecting?  As they must have a field of their own for collectors?  Not like the mass market ones made like today...

This one looks nice and well made compared to some I have seen (or bought myself)  :spls:

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand