No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved or cut? antique? clear footed bowl with underplate  (Read 4825 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Engraved or cut? antique? clear footed bowl with underplate
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:16 PM »
I have no idea about this piece at all despite looking for quite a while. I found a couple of engraved Stevens and Williams pieces where the engraving looked to have similarities in design so I was wondering if it may be one of their pieces?
And is it cut or engraved?  there are no 'matt' bits on this, it all looks polished if you know what I mean.  Even the base of the foot underneath is engraved.
The underplate is deep in the middle and I think is definitely supposed to be an underplate.  It has a beautiful fairly large, polished pontil mark.  I think the rim is folded underneath it but can't be certain.  Maybe  it was just made with a slightly thicker bit at the rim (is that possible?)
All thoughts much appreciated - it's quite a lot bigger than say a champagne coupe.  I think it must be a dessert bowl and underplate?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Engraved or cut? antique? clear footed bowl with underplate
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:39 AM »
http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/47901/an-early-20th-century-stevens-/
here's an example where I thought the leaves looked similar.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »
It is in the style of John Orchard who worked for S&W but others did similar . :-\

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
yes, I saw his pieces as well JP..they are gorgeous.  I suppose this doesn't have the cache of being a detailed 'scene' however I still think it is beautifully done - added to which  the cutting on the underside of the foot.  I think the quality is there for Stevens and Williams.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
Err, is this intaglio cutting?  sorry I'm slightly embarrassed asking in case someone says, no it was made yesterday  by machine ;D
And could it be Thomas Webb?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
Not sure what you mean M. It's intaglio, i.e., below the surface. The way to tell if it's machine or not is to look at the detail; is everything identical and spot-on accurate. Hand cutting isn't.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
I was told by a very knowledgeable person that those blossoms were almost as good as his signature .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
JP are you referring to  the blossoms on my piece or his (John Orchard's)  blossoms in general please?

Hi Christine - no I'm not sure what I mean either...I have little to no idea about the techniques of engraving really or how it's done, except I've always coveted some absolutely gorgeous pieces (pieces with pictures and huge amounts of detail in them etc) within the books I have.  I haven't been able to  find my Peter Dreiser book to look at for information  :cry:, and I get confused by the terms.  In my mind's eye, cut meant straight lines and shiny polished finish and engraved meant flowing, more natural lines and matt finish - I think that was my confusion, because this is flowing and natural but all shiny and polished with no matt areas.  I'm going to have another hunt for my book to see if I can understand better.
Having now looked under a magnifying glass each leaf and petal has loads of straight lines very close together and not seen on just looking at the piece without magnification - so would that be wheel engraved?  

Thank you both for looking  :) and helping
m

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
m, you say its all highlypolished, no matt areas, could this be a piece of 'Rock Crystal' ?
That is always very highly polished. Stevens & Williams did that too.

Andy
 ;)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
It's not rock crystal.

Both can be done with wheels. I don't know the definitions off the top of my head but cut glass can be grey (unpolished) too. It may just be geometric versus natural (a bit like parquetry versus marquetry).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand