No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy angular ruby glass mug, jug, odd shape. Any ideas as to purpose, origin?  (Read 605 times)

Offline jeanne

• Members
Hello
This is another donation to the hospice. It is puzzling us greatly.
It is 3.1 inches tall and 2.5 inches across the base. It has 8 sides. The handle is squared off. The bands are moulded. The shaped top makes it unlikely to be for drinking. Is it a measure of some kind?
Any help much appreciated
Regards
Jeanne

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
This is purely speculative but it looks like a grain/Flour/sugar measure. I have seen something similar but in wood. Pete
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jeanne

• Members
I thought a measure of some kind, but rather grand and not very damage resistant.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I can't see it as being practical as a measure.
What volume does it hold?
How accurate would it be?

The very thick rim isn't compatible with an accurate measure, neither is its shape.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
scoop for claret cup or measure for spa fountain? It doesn't seem to be too efficient for dry goods. It is very much in the style of spa glasses which come in many shapes and sizes, though mostly as personal items.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :smg:

I think you could be spot on with the spa water thing, Ivo!
I was watching a tv programme about vile sulphurous waters and the taking of them recently - there was a sort of spout sticking out of a wall, you pressed a button, and some of the water would splurt out of the tap.

The shape of this mug would take into account having to put it under the sticking-out tap to collect some of the splurting water. Accurate measurement is irrelevant, all you need is some of it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I think you would use it to fill at the smelly tap or dip into the vile sulphorous still basin and then transfer it to your spa glass which has a measure on it.  You would not want to OD on radon oozing creosote juice now would you.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
When radioactivity was first discovered, exposure was thought to be beneficial.
Poor Madame Curie died as a result of her work.

Taking of spa waters has been around for a very long time. I believe bathing in them really was beneficial - in terms of getting rid of skin infections, worms and other parasites.

(I used to love the smell of creosote - Dad used to have to paint the summer house with it every year.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand