No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Which is Riihimaen?  (Read 632 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Which is Riihimaen?
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »
Hi

I had always thought the vase on the right in the photo was Riihimaen Lasi Oy - Aimo Okkolin 1970s - just bought vase on left and is a lighter colour, very same height and thickness of glass, same finished rim but smaller aperture on one on left, same base - so which is, if any is the Riihimaen?

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Which is Riihimaen?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Possibly neither vase but I do not know either way.

Here is a similar vase which is by Aimo Okkolin: http://designlasi.com/en/content/nimipaiva-namesday-6535-1426-okkolin-aimo-en
Quite a few differences.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
My gut feeling is that both aren't. I'm not sure if it applies to all of these, but all of the Aimo Okkolin vases of this type I have seen have been signed to the base. The colour also looks a little too vivid.

http://www.laatutavara.com/eng/?page=product&id=411&ryhma=1&aliryhma=3

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
Thanks - I had a vase in green exactly the same shape as two above, same structure - it was etched to the base Riihimaen with Leopard logo - I know what you mean about the colours, its just I have a good ID from a picture in a Miller's book same colourand the Nimipäivä vase linked is a very similar colour - however Miller's can sometimes be wrong.

If not Riihimaen what other companies? I don't think they are Aseda, they may not even be Scandi!

Thanks Adam

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
They look somewhat similar to Tamara Aladin 1365, although I don't think the shapes exactly the same as your one. The Tamara Aladin ones contained in the link are also marked I believe, although again, I'm not sure if this was always the case.

http://www.fleamarketinsiders.52ndwest.com/riihimaen-lasi-oy-finnish-vases/

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83478018/riihimaki-lasi-oy-vase-by-tamara-aladin

I'm a little unsure about the colour, I may be wrong, would be interested to see what the Scandinavian members think. If not Riihimaen, its a shape that's fairly common place, Krosno and others have produced similar.

Greg

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »
I would say neither is from Riihimäen Lasi, too. The tone of the purple just isn't theirs which was of a warmer shade.

Also the rims of Aimo Okkolin's Nameday (Nimipäivä) vases are very thick and soft edged. (looks like flame worked - sorry I am no expert in this terminology :) )
Nimipäivä -vases were produced 1959 - 1967. There were versions with bubbles in the clear part, and a slightly different shape. (prod.numbers changed 6535/1426 and 6536/1427)

I recall having seen this colour in AliBaba pages in Chinese vases, is it possible these are newer?

About RL 1365 this could be Aladin's but is not officially documented as such but is of the large export range. The shape is different if you look how the shape narrows going down in Adam's vases.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
The rims of these two vases are very thick and are not flame worked like Aseda for eg. they are ground and polished quite expertly. I don't know if it helps but I had the same vase as right hand side many years ago with G Hardy Sweden label attached - which is why I thought one of these was Scandanavian. The left hand one has a vague optical effect where you can see it has been hand built, the right hand one is very smooth and regular.

Don't know if this helps, they are probably nothing great. Ho hum....

Adam

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
I am back home now and have access to my database - here is a photo of 1635 in green with acid etched mark to base - I see what px means by the difference in the bottoms of vases - the Riihimaen is not as narrow.

Adam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand