No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This A Murano  (Read 628 times)

Offline kp1039

• Members
Is This A Murano
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
I'm brand new here seeking any info I can get on this bowl-especially a maker. I've been searching all week on forums and searches, and people are torn if its a Murano or not. Really hoping someone will know exactly what it is. I have it on Ebay.The only info I have is no markings at all, and its from the late 60's to early 70's, and its 11 1/2 inches. And its heavy!!!! I really do appreciate any help on this. Thanks! It is not letting me attach photo-no matter how small I make it,so here is the listing to see the pictures of it -http://www.ebay.com/itm/220978343375?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
Re: Is This A Murano
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Hi

It certainly is in the style of Murano. Check the base as you will either have a polished pontil of a flat pontil and it has been done using the masello technique where various layers of glass are dipped in oxides when being blown giving you this seemless transition between colours. 

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
Bit of a tricky one, it could also be Canadian (look at Altaglass, Chalet, Lorraine etc), or Japanese, or Czech...to be honest Murano would be my least favourite guess, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Offline kp1039

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
Well, I found a woman about a week ago very knowledgeable in Chalet-Lorraine already and she says not those 2, but I will check the base for the polished pontil also,if I know what i'm looking for is a whole other story! Thank you both for the help!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
I had answered the question on another board, so thought I would let others have an opinion. This looks like a Murano glass bowl of the type imported by Jordan Import Co in the 1960s. I have seen many of the 6-pointed bowls in this color. This is the first I've seen that has 10 points. Other than the number of points, the designs look the same. The trident separated by cuts in the rim and color combination are the same.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand