No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Licio Zanetti ? Odd Signature  (Read 3907 times)

Offline dculvyho

• Members
Licio Zanetti ? Odd Signature
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »
I always believed the signature on this basket to be fake, but what has me baffled is this seems to be a very nice art glass basket in its own right and it makes me wonder why someone would fake a signature on it.  I wrote Zanetti Glass but got no response.  Does anyone think it is possible that Licio Zanetti signed in this style?

Doug

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Licio Zanetti ? Odd Signature
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
Hi Doug

I can see what you mean, that signature does look odd.  Here are some links to examples of, or reference to Licio Zanetti's signature, although you might have seen it already?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28049.0.html

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39049.msg215866.html#msg215866

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28049.0.html

There are more references to it, I just used the Search facility to bring these up.   :) :)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
Definitely not a Licio Zanetti piece. The basket looks more British to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline isleofwight collector

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:20:56 AM »
I have uploaded two pics of a Zanetti signature - I cant see any similarities, so I would agree I dont think this is Licio Zanetti.

Attached is the link to my pics on another post    http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46544.0.html

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »
After really looking at the basket, I don't think it is British, either. It seems to be made in the spirit of the old English baskets. I have no idea what it might be.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:43 AM »
Baskets in this sort of style are rarely English. The general style is Bohemian but this would appear to be neither late 19thC/early 20th Bohemian nor English. Mid/late 30th C seems more likely I think. Is the base ground flat?

Offline dculvyho

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their comments and interesting links and pictures.

The base has a pontil that has not been ground flat.

I read a thread about another controversial Zanetti signature where he signed Zanetti Licio instead of Zanetti L.  This turned out to be a legitimate signature.  He would sign with his full first name when he considered the work exceptoinal.  This basket is dated 1972.  I thought it may be possible that it was an experimental piece if it is his at all.  I do understand that the signature does not follow the norm but I have seen some examples that were close enough that I could not 100% rule out the possibilitie.  I have never found an example of where the signature has Licio proceeding Zanetti .

I could be wrong but I think this basket is desirable without a signature and that its value would not have been increased due to the signature even if the signature were accepted as real.  This is why I'm baffled.  If the signature does not add to the piece why would someone sign it.

Thanks to All
Doug

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:37 PM »
Doug, it is a pretty basket. I do not think it is Zanetti because the signature does not look like his and the basket does not look like anything that he has done. I googled "Licio Zanetti vase" and found many things he has made. They all looked very much like his style. I couldn't find any glass similar to yours, and the signatures were all the same -- Zanetti L or Zanetti Licio with the sweeping Z.

Licio Zanetti's name carries a premium in Europe, though less so in the USA. This might explain why the basket is signed. Now why it is dated, I don't know. I can't remember seeing any of his work that is dated.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline dculvyho

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »
I have probably looked at every signature I could find for about 6 months now.  In that time I have seen many examples of his signature.  The closest to what I have had the line from the bottom of the z only go as far as the a in Zanetti.  I found more than one that looked somewhat like the z but all examples continued under the body of the name.  While searching I have seen a couple of examples that included a date.  I have never seen an example that had Licio prior to Zanetti.  With that said I to believe the signature is most likley a fake.

Thanks for your response

Doug

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »
Sadly Doug,  I think you are correct....I collect glass animals, and feel I know Licio Zanetti's signature variations well....this one does not match anything I have ever seen before....but then I have just seen a reijmyre bird with a Lalique signature faked on the base,  so these things do happen.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand