No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID request for pink jug please  (Read 4680 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: ID request for pink jug please
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »
This is the link to your blue Alabaster Stevens and Williams bowl base, but I can't see any reference to the pink colour discussion  ???
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42333.msg235185.html#msg235185
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
Dear Sue  -  thank you for assisting with my link.             I had in fact typed the following - hit a wrong key and lost the lot, and have had to re-type the entire post  -  the air here is very blue indeed.

The first link below is for my blue bowl that Nigel confirmed as S.&W. alabaster  -  the other is for a similar material that I believe was attributed to Stueben.      There is another post, subsequent to mine, that was also helpful, but which I now can't find.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42333.msg235185.html#msg235185
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37292.msg204024.html#msg204024

My comments about Rose du Barry were taken from..........'The Crystal Years  -  A Tribute to the Skills and Artistry of STEVENS & WILLIAMS/ROYAL BRIERLEY CRYSTAL' by R. S. Williams-Thomas.    The author being an S.&W. family member who was involved substantially for over 30 with the company.       Page 18 in the book describes the decorative features of R du B..........."an opaque or ivory glass, shading from a pale primrose yellow at the base up to very pale rose and to a deeper rose on the top rim.      The surface was usually acid satined be was sometimes left in its bright polished state c 1888.         In the book plate XXXIII shows an example of R du B, from which you can see the similarity with Burmese type wares.

I can see the reference on page 108 in '20th Century British Glass', but unable to offer any explanation as to this apparent anomaly of the use of the name R du B. by both Williams-Thomas and Hajdamach. :-\

signed  'perplexed of Surrey' ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:49:36 PM »
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/stevens-williams-rosaline-and-alabaster-covered
this looks very pale compared to what I thought was their pink, so maybe that does tie the colour as well  :-\ although it could just be the photograph.
Here is a pic on Wayne's site that I thought was more the colour.
http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_251&products_id=4018

I am very confused by the Rose du Barry issue on description of the pink colour regarding the the alabaster range.  The Dudley Museums site has a piece (no picture) listed as a condiment pot but the description is of an Alabaster range piece and there is no mention of burmese at all. 
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH720/
m

bfg

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »
thank you all so much for your replies, such a lot to follow up on, I will do so tonight. Just regretting passing on my 'crystal years' book last year - typical!

Mel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »
I'm hoping to go up to Broadfield House tomorrow, providing no emergencies stop us - if so and if I see anyone to ask, I will ask the question about what Stevens and Williams pink was called in the Alabaster range.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:40 AM »
French mistresses have a lot to answer for, it seems ;).       Appears to have been used originally on C18 Sevres procelain - and possibly like many descriptions has been used because of its sense of romantic appeal etc.  -  sells well also.
quote.................."I will ask the question about what Stevens and Williams pink was called in the Alabaster range"...............they'll probably reach for Hajdamach ;D
Have a good day.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
I am sooo looking forward to it...I have been desperate to get there and to the V&A for years.  I'm taking a couple of pieces with me and hoping for answers although not expecting just in case there is no one available to show.  I can't wait to see the glass.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
You'll enjoy it. I want to go again.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
You'll also like all the books,take plenty of money,the Ruskin Centre is worth a visit along with the Red House Cone both just down the road ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
I've got precisely 2 1/2 hours there before we have to turn round and come back to pick up kids.  I want to see the collection as a priority - what else should I see?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand