No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID request for pink jug please  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: ID request for pink jug please
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
'Rosaline' was indeed a name used by Steuben - Newman say of this.............."a type of jade glass that is rose coloured.    It was made by Steuben Glass Works".         
The Grover's discuss this 'jade aspect of the Steuben production - Rosaline in particular - and they draw attention to the similarity with S.& W. material and that of Steuben - commenting that unless pieces are marked then it is quite easy to confuse the two.
And the reason for this similarity of the 'pink' glass from the two factories, is that Carder was the art director of S. & W.  -  and then presumably some time in the first decade of the C20 went to Steuben where he remained as art director until the mid 1930's  ish, I think.
The Grovers show examples of Steuben 'Rosaline', although I don't think the colour of the pix is particularly good, and could be misleading.   The book was produced in Japan back in 1967, when colour reproduction may not have been that faithful to the real thing.
Actually, I thought it was a girl's name. ;)

P.S.  obviously I can't spell 'florid' :-[

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
I should have added I was surprised given the connection of Carder between the two, but something else has bothered me that I need to investigate about the S&W Alabaster and Steuben's - I've always thought there was a Carder link between the two, but having looked at timings, he left years before the S&W Alabaster range was brought out I think.  I had intended reading up about that and trying to sort the chronology in my head, but became distracted by colour names  ;D
And I'm terribly sorry but this thread appears to have been hijacked with other issues although vaguely related  :-[
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »
Hi m, no need to apologise re hijacking - I have been folllowing with great interest :-D

............still kicking myself over the crystal years giveaway last year

Mel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »
as of this morning, I see there are plenty for sale on Abe Books  -  starting at a tenner (plus postage) - which seems good value for money.

quote from m...................."I should have added I was surprised given the connection of Carder between the two................"
sorry m, am I being thick as usual............did you mean to say  -  "............I wasn't surprised......."

I think we should stop this one now, we seem to have got into a muddle with all these different references :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
No, I was surprised....I would have thought they would have kept any colour ranges and names very distinct from each other in order to 'mark' their brands and keep them top of mind. 
But on the other hand 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' I suppose and for all these factories, using the same or similar names for their products probably helped cause confusion amongst retail buyers and the public alike, which will have also helped sales.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
o.k. - I'll go back to sleep.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 09:33:13 PM »
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46591.msg262568.html#msg262568
Referring to Christine's post in this thread:
'M's brown/gold issue made me look closer. The gold is over yellow, which is typically Bohemian, though I don't know that it's solely Bohemian. I'm inclined to think the shape is a little crude for Stevens and Williams too.'

I've got a funny feeling this little jug might turn out to be by Annathal bei Schuttenhofen (Loetz).  I've seen similar enamelling from them on the early Loetz Victorian pieces and the pink and white alabaster and the shape would fit with their production I think c. mid 1800s.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand