No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusually small facet cut amethyst glass vase  (Read 647 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Unusually small facet cut amethyst glass vase
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:16:20 AM »
Hello.  Just wanted to post this small vase that I found.  To me, it seems unusually small for a facet cut case of this type.  The similar vases that I have are much larger and much more substantial.  I thought, perhaps, that it might be some type of sample piece.  It only measures 3.25" inches tall.  Has anyone else come across a faceted vase of such small stature? 

[IMG=http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9256/img0921fy.jpg]http://[/img]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Unusually small facet cut amethyst glass vase
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:46:03 AM »
Lots of these pieces around. They are from Czechoslovakia in the 1930s and typically come in amethyst or dark amber - and citrine of course. And they never exceed 5 inches or so.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
Okay, thanks.  I'm always looking for these deco era, faceted pieces.  This is the first I've come across this size.  I like it's smallness; like a jewel.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
This style was originated by a Wiener Werkstätte designer, probably Hoffman, and the early ones are sometime signed with the Moser Wiener Werkstätte distinctive signature. After WW went 'bust' Moser, went on to making them for quite some time usually unsigned. Later still many other glass houses copied them.

I've heard them generically called 'Vienna cut' and they come in a great variety of sizes.

The early ones have an interesting design flaw if you look where the facets meet in the middle, as you look round the 'circumference' the angles aren't quite perfect so some of the panels are irregular sizes and have odd angles.

cheers

Mike 

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:19 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  I appreciate the information.  This one appears to have odd angles where the corners from the top panels vary individually with the panels on the bottom.  Only a few of the edges from the top are met directly in the center of the bottom panels.  I'm not sure what that means.  I guess this one if of lesser quality or craftsmanship than Moser would have produced.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Actually

Those mismatched panels probably mean its earlier rather than later -the early Moser - signed WW ones - have that fault too, but I don't think it means it's definitely Moser alas. - The more modern ones have better geometry!

cheers

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand