No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fenton Diamond & Rib Vase - what carnival colour is it?  (Read 838 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Fenton Diamond & Rib Vase - what carnival colour is it?
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »
I've been looking at David Doty's Carnival Glass website to see if I could put a name to the colour of my vase.  I've learned that you go by the base colour, which is green.  On top of that I'd say that the main iridescence is a pale gold, with some blue & purple.

It's probably a big ask to ID a colour from photos, but I'd be most chuffed is someone would like to have a go!  All the photos were taken in daylight.
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Fenton Diamond & Rib Vase - what carnival colour is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
Looks green to me,got one of those myself,Fenton glass I think ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »
Well Keith, I said it was green and Fenton!   ::)  But there are different names for carnival glass greens aren't there?  I mean, the vase doesn't look at all green except at the base, where there is no iridescence, so I don't think I would describe it as a green vase.  Or does it look green to you?  Maybe we see colours differently?!

(Thanks for being interested  :))
Nancy

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
Sorry,glasses down stairs,excuse,only thought there was one type of green,just flipped through my book there is 'nile green' but I have no idea what that looks like ??? ;D ;D

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
I would say it is a standard green - a fairly typical colour for Fenton. It's definitely not Nile Green.

Carnival Glass colours are determined by the colour of the base glass, even though the item itself may not look that colour at all. A piece correctly called green may actually look purple (because of its iridescent effects). Because of the extreme variability of iridescence and the colours / highlights and so on that are seen when looking at a piece, the more easily distinguished / categorised base glass colour is what is used to determine the colour of a piece.

There are exceptions to this rule - it's complicated! I have an extensive article on my website which is based on a major presentation and display that Steve and I gave at the Carnival Glass Society (CGS UK) a couple of years ago.

Main page for the colour feature
http://www.thistlewoods.net/Carnival-colours.html

Green
http://www.thistlewoods.net/Green.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
Ah!  Thank you so much Glen.  I misunderstood how the colours were classified - I thought that the surface colour dictated what colour it was named (ie such-and-such green).  I didn't understand that it is the base colour that is named.  Yes, I think I understand now.  So if you were to describe my vase in Carnival terms, you would say 'green with pale gold, blue and purple iridescence' or something like that?

Sorry Keith - you were perfectly correct!  I've slapped my wrists.
Nancy

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
Yes Nancy, that's right, your vase would be classed as green, and if you wanted to add something to the description you would describe the iridescent effects that it has.

As I mentioned, it's complicated, and there are some iridescent effects that DO change the categorisation of the Carnival colour. A good example is emerald green. In that case the iridescent effects are vivid and primarily blue/aqua. Emerald is not often found and is subsequently sought after (it is very beautiful). It's all explained in my (somewhat lengthy) article :-)

Glen

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
It must be pretty tricky for people buying from on-line auctions, particularly if the seller doesn't know about carnival glass.  I guess, as with most things, it's always best to see the item in person.

I really appreciate the information Glen and will have a good look at your presentation later today.  :)
Nancy

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
I would say that like most things, it's a question of experience (the more, the better). Although I do think it is fair to say that Carnival Glass is much more complicated than many other types of glass. For me that's a major part of its charm (and accounts for a lot of my obsession  ;)) It also gives rise to a lot of mumbo-jumbo being spouted by "so-called" experts who actually know nada. It also helps to provide opportunities for astonishing discoveries and finds ("knowledge is power").

Nile Green, by the way, is a slightly opaque base colour with a hint of dirty yellow. It's not a good look - but it is rare. I saw and handled the Nile Green Panther master that the Britts had, back in the 1990s at a US convention. It wasn't a pretty piece, but it is most unusual.

Glen

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
Wow Glen.  I've just read your article about your designing and the guys at Fenton making of the 'Flowers of the World' mould and 2000 Commemorative.  Fascinating reading!  It must have been the experience of a lifetime for you.

I was spooked when I read that most of them are based in Topeka, Kansas.  I lived there when I was very young!  I've very much enjoyed dipping my to into this area of glass, and might just have a good old look around for some more.  Many thanks Glen!
Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand