No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio? Organic shape vase,internal colours bubbles + four pinched trails  (Read 2761 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I love this vase but have been able to get precisely nowhere on id'ing it (probably because I've been blinkered in my approach) so any ideas very welcome.
The body of the vase is a very pale dirty pink or pale brown colour transparent glass, not clear as it might appear .  It has internal 'paint' swooshes of black (any other colours showing are reflections) and gorgeous frothy bubbles in patches rather than all over.
There are four sort of 'pinched' trails attached to it that aren't applied but are pinched from the body of the vase I think although on the inside it is smooth.  The base curves gently inwards in donut style but quite deeply, so the pontil mark wouldn't be touching the shelf it stands on, if you see what I mean? it has a snapped off perfect ring shape as the pontil mark (will have to do pic later) and there is wear to the base.  The pontil mark is what is throwing me.  It doesn't match any of the people I've thought of.
It measures about 7" tall and 3.5" at the base.  Weighs 700gms and is quite thick glass.
Any thoughts and all thoughts welcome  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
But for the pink it looks like a Whitefriars nobbly thats gone very wrong . Maybe the guy cut his hand on the sharp bits so you got glass mixed with blood . sorry yuk . ;D ;) ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It's  definitely not Whitefriars, it definitely isn't knobbly and it hasn't gone very wrong  :'(  it may be the photos as it is difficult to photograph with the 4 trails on it.
Well I suppose I did ask for any thoughts  :)
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Sorry m didnt want to rock your boat , just teasing .xxx  :'( :-X

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :) no worries JP.
better pics of the base and trails
The only other vase I have that has a similar pontil mark is my ribbed dotted decanter. I can think of quite a few people this could be by (or at least were worth researching for similarities) but none seem to fit with this pontil mark and some don't fit other things about the vase.  The base is indented quite significantly as can be seen from the photo.  I don't think this is a new piece. 
Any ideas for me to search for welcome :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Fascinating piece, m!
I'm thinking a definite Scandi direction - (but I bet you were thinking; "Hmmm... Benny-ish.." too when you saw it!)
I also thought Bo Borgstrom-y - although the colours and bubbles aren't sort of tied up in each other as inclusions in his "usual" stuff.
Too "organic" for Peill & Putzler, I think, and again, not quite the right sort of mix of colour with bubble inclusions.

I doubt anybody would mistake it for wfs. It doesn't have the correct round polished pontil mark that indicates wfs.  ;D

But Benny does leave this sort of neat small round heat-finished mark on the base.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue, thanks  :) I wasn't thinking Benny at all bizarrely but  I was thinking maybe French Rousseau/Leveille/Thuret when I bought it.  I did think the pontil mark wasn't right for any of those and some I think are always marked anyway from what I can see, but I still went ahead lol.  I also checked out Ivo's P&P collection and others just in case.
I think I've exhausted the 'worth looking at for similarities' possibles though -
Eugene Rousseau
Leveille
Andre Thuret
Jean Sala
Henri Navarre
Maurice Marinot
Benny Motzfeldt
Bjorn Weckstrom

That's not to say it definitely isn't any of them, but I haven't found a match and the pontil mark puts me off all but Benny Motzfeldt - Now you've made me look again I do have one BM with a vaguely similar pontil mark, but the design with the trails isn't something I associate with her.
I hadn't thought Bjorn Borgstrom though but will now search him and some more Scandinavian makers :)
thanks again
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I would be very interested to hear Robbo's or Pinkspoon's thoughts on this piece.  ;)

I agree, I'm not overly keen to associate these sorts of trails with Benny.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bZsuJ90UAtIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=art+nouveau+to+art+deco+arwas&hl=en&sa=X&ei=33x_T_epK8TI0QW54PmBBw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=art%20nouveau%20to%20art%20deco%20arwas&f=false

sorry about the long link but if you scroll down to page 13 the vase on the right  is the closest I have found in terms of shape, trails and general spirit (obviously mine has no crackle and I'm assuming the linked one has no bubbles as I can't see any).
I'm going to either end up being totally wrong on this one, or never finding out who did it  ;D
Trying to describe the colour better I would say it  is more a dirty lilac/pale cinammon than pink btw JP :)  so no cuts made in the making of this one  ;D
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
There is something similar about it.... but I can't make out the colours or how they're applied, and in your piece, the colour is quite deliberately placed how it is, it makes a statement within the abstraction.

(I got rather distracted by the second piece in the link
- who is it? 
- what is it?
I need it.......  Is it Karl Wiedmann?)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum