No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ikora style lamp base...  (Read 4842 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Ikora style lamp base...
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »
This lamp base has some features of WMF Ikora, but others that don't fit...

Mottled opaque orange-brown and green glass, with a netty pattern of yellow translucent glass, thickly cased in clear (sorry, difficult to discribe and to photograph as well).
Stands appr. 23 cm high, shiny indented base, moulded I think, top ground for the light fitting and not polished.
The fitting seems to be original (at least the lower part in chrome and bakelite, which fits perfectly), while the brass top may be a replacement...

Any idea of maker and age?
The closest I could find were the WMF lamp bases here on the glaskilan site.

Thanks!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Ikora style lamp base...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
And one more pic with a ligh source in it...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »
Close up the decor look like the one in this link as a 'base decor' however the one in the link does not have the crackle effect - the patches of colour on it are different as well  ;D but if you look at the very close up shot, the base decor under the crackle  looks very similar to yours.
http://donzella.com/itemdetails.php?id=571705
m

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
I´d say it is an Ikora -  a rather unusual coloured one and I´m perhaps only 85% sure,
but then again... They pop up in such unusual colourways now and then and the main
characteristics are there. Just a bit more powders than usual. It´s a pity the Ikora book on
lamps never got published.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!

When I bought it I was convinced it was Ikora, but comparing it to pics on the net I became rather uncertain due to the fitting, the lack of Silver Chloride, and the base finish (shouldn't there be a round polished pontil mark?).
The net pattern looks quite distinctive, though...

So quite happy that I was possibly not totally off the track :)

Are there any other makers for this style of lamp?
And would you date it to the 1930s, or rather later?

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
Since the item was mould-blown and the top has not been hot-shaped afterwards there wasn´t the need
to transfer it to a pontil - therefore no ground out pontil mark.
Concerning the base finish of 30´s / 40´s WMF pieces like Ikora and Perlora there doesn´t seem to be such
a thing like a standard. From the pieces I´ve handled I can say they are either unfinished or have a ground
out pontil mark, or a base rim and a roughly ground out pontil mark or large ground out pontil mark and a
small base rim or a completely ground base or....  ;D
I´d guess your lampbase is rather pre 1945 because of the colours. The book on Ikora glass indicates
that the post-war production was much more restricted concerning the use of different colours and powders.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »
can I ask a question though - from the lamps I have seen online, the wire seems to come from the top fixing (not that that would mean it is or it isn't a particular make though).  But does yours have a hole in the base for the wire?  I was just wondering about that.
The only other maker I thought it could possibly be, might be Kralik but I have no references for lamps - I've never seen one, though they probably made some.  I've had a hunt through two sites that have many Kralik pieces though and couldn't see that decor.
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
Thanks Dirk and m!
Your help is highly appreciated :)

So the base finish doesn't mean much in this case, good to know (as I have never handled any Ikora piece I was uncertain).

m, you're right that mine has got a hole at the side for the wire (pic attached). I think there is some sort of cap missing which would cover it a little, though.
Another possibility is that the lamp has been rewired, and the hole was drilled then, as there is a hole in the metal fixture beside the two switches which is useless (other than for air circulation?)

Searching the web I found this lamp which IMHO looks remarkably similar to mine regarding shape, particularly the foot, technique and fitting. They claim it to be by WMF and don't mention Ikora; but I am not sure if they just attribute it, or if it is marked in some way.

Added another detail pic of the decor against the light, showing the quite complex technique a little better. (btw, the pic is not blurry -- the decor is ;D)

Regarding Kralik -- there is not much information about Kralik from the 1930s to be found, so no idea if they may have produced similar things then...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
That decor looks the same as yours or incredibly close.  I think maybe someone rewired yours at some point as you say and put the hole lower down for safety maybe.
I wonder if your metalwork is marked in anyway?  have you checked all the fittings?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
http://www.1001pc.co.uk/viewitem/293/
this one looks to be a similar decor with the crackle as well. Different colours but the crackle looks to be formed in a similar way.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand