No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green & clear epergne + tadpole style pattern / peacock eye trail style  (Read 2370 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
The glass runs from clear to green and has what looks like tadpole pattern in the glass. The epergne measures a total of 40cm tall.
The epergne base has "E.P.B.M." (electroplated Britannia metal) to the base and centre flute holder and was made by James Dixon & Sons Ltd, Sheffield.

Just need info regarding the glass maker if possible? It looks and feels good quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Green and clear epergne with tadpole style pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
an extremely common type of table decoration from the second half of the C19 and probably up to the 14 - 18 war............made by the world and his wife, so the chances of finding the maker are virtually nil, unfortunately. :)             Almost certainly, the glass would have had no connection with James Dixon.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »
Well it may have been an extremely common design idea but imho there are not millions that have survived and yours is a little bit different to the ones I see mostly, i.e.3 small flutes and a central flute or mismatched flutes.  Those that have opalescent glass flutes in perfect condition are the ones that sell well, likewise those that are entirely of glass, stand included, for obvious reasons that they are rarer as they are more fragile.
However I do think yours is very pretty and the design reminds me a lot of the peacock eye type glass vases.  James Dixon was a very good name and therefore I wouldn't associate it (of course, I could be wrong) with mass produced 'millions' type of glass and so I wouldn't write this off as being a 'standard' piece.  In addition to which it does look as if your matching bowl and flute are original to the piece.  You may not find a maker but I think it is still a collectable piece in itself  :)
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
so what are you saying m............are you suggesting that Dixon had a hand in making the glass???         What makes you think that?   I wasn't implying that they have survived in droves  -  obviously not -  but unless of especially individual design, then simply almost impossible to find the maker because they were made by so many factories and in vast quantities - the glass might even have come from outside the U.K.    Single flutes are often seen for sale, they are attractive, especially if of cranberry/pinks and/or opalescent/uranium, and I guess people collect just odd trumpets.
I would agree, it is attractive  -  you're just biased because of the peacock green colour ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
correction, I've re-read your comments m  -  don't belive you were suggesting that Dixon was connected with the glass, just that in your opinion you wouldn't necessarily associate them with mass produced glass.    You may be correct, although equally you could be wrong, but whichever way we look at it, very, very unlikely we're going to find a glass maker's name. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
 -  oh I'd just typed the below when you reposted so I'm going to post it anyway
 ;D
No, I'm not suggesting they had anything to do with the glass, and should have said 'James Dixon was a very good Silversmiths'. I am sure they were linked in someway with Christopher Dresser for example. They are  a good name and whilst I could be wrong (and very shortly I am sure to find out via another post on this thread that I am  ;D) I don't associate their wares with mass produced, squillions of items.  I think they will have sourced their glass from probably a fairly good maker.   All I am saying is  I think they produced good quality items.  I also think it looks as though the piece is original, as the bowl and the flute match and they seem to fit the metalware well. It isn't that difficult to fit 4 mismatching non original flutes into a stand that takes flutes only, but I think it would be harder to find a matching bowl and flute and make them fit a stand not made to hold them.
and yes, I admit I love this type of decor on glass :P - it appeals, and is fairly classy imho  ;D  We may not find a maker but having that decoration on the glass could lead to something...maybe.  Can we have a close up of the decoration and how it is applied please?
thanks
m

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »
flying free - I agree, it is good quality, nor extremely common and do not think the world and his wife achieved such in their millions. That is a bit like saying "a vase is a vase is a vase". I will post another image tomorrow.

As we all know, the glass could have been made almost anywhere. Hopefully it will jar someones knowledge about such pieces and start to unravel a trail to an ID for it. I guess there are collectors and experts in all areas of glass manufacture and therefore remain hopeful that they stumble upon my piece here.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:11:40 AM »
I look at it this way.

The most difficult hand made fancy glass to attribute is a simple container.   Flutes, footed pieces, and stems all help make it easier.

Here is a 1939 advertisement for a classic epergne with a mirror plateau base by Haden, Mullett & Haden.   In the Fratelli Toso factory collection there are examples of classic epergnes which were still being made and supplied to the British antiques trade in the late '50s and possibly into the '60s.

I noted three features of the glass of this epergne which might help attribution:
  • Shaded colour was a premium option for a considerable time by S&W for many of their patterns.
  • Peacock Eye and dab trails were certainly made by Stuart and by Richardson.
  • The eclectic rim crimp is unusual and should be carefully checked for a match in reliable publications and websites.
  • Finally don't forget that Eric Reynolds discovered references to Walsh Sateen glass in a metalbasher's factory pattern book in the Sheffield archives.   They might be worth contacting.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
    « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
    ... continued

See topic Queries on a Stevens & Williams 16" Shaded Green Trumpet Vase for comparison.

When looking for similar rim crimps the shape of the object is immaterial.   Only yesterday I happened to have two pieces out at the same time and noticed for the first time identical rim crimps.   One is what the Americans term a rose bowl, the other a trumpet vase.   The first is rock solid Walsh.   The second was already Walsh by two factors, but now there's a third, very strong reinforcement for its attribution.

Publications:   Start with Gulliver.   It excels for this type of investigation.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »
    Thank you Bernard for you info, much appreciated.

Here is a closer image of the applied peacock eye pattern, each trail runs all of the way to the base of the flute.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand