No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anybody identify this art noveau(?) bowl for me?  (Read 584 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Can anybody identify this art noveau(?) bowl for me?
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:31:37 PM »
Hi, this bowl sits on a white metal stand (EPNS?) and appears to be decorated with fushias.  There are no markings that I can find.  It is triangular, with each side measuring about 30 cm in length.  The inside of the bowl is smooth with the decoration sitting proud on the bottom.   Any indication of where I should start looking would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Can anybody identify this art noveau(?) bowl for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Hi, is it definitely old?  It does remind me of some Mikasa crystal bowls I've seen out and about, but I could be wrong.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
Hi, thanks for looking.  I have no idea how old it is I am afraid.  I mentioned Art Noveau from a style point of view rather than for its period although it could be a Lalique rip-off.   It's marked up a bit and the white metal was heavily tarnished until I cleaned it up, but it could be anything from last year to a century old.  It came in a job lot with mainly late 19th and early 20th century glass so my best bet is that it is early 20th.   I'm no expert on 20th/21st century glass as you know so I could be wildly out.  There are no markings at all which seems strange on such a piece.  I would have thought the stand would be marked with a maker's name at least.  Thanks for the heads up on Mikasa.  I'll take a look and find out what I can and revert.

Neil

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »
The stand would be no help, as it would usually just have the metal basher's mark. I also seriously doubt it's a Lalique rip off. Lalique doesn't have the monopoly on frosted glass.

Style-wise I would say 1950s/60s

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »
Regret I can't help with anything positive, other than to comment that had there been some age then the base would have probably been EPNS, and would have been marked as such - although that may apply to British only.    Those bases which were'nt EPNS, as with some examples which were made of aluminiun, are easy to tell and are more likely to be mid C20 or a tad earlier.      Would agree that the flowers do look like fushias

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
To me that is a walther dish on a 1970s  metal foot from bmf or from wmf.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand