No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goats head goblet pressed turquoise blue marbled opaline glass  (Read 4189 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
confused over how to describe this glass having read previous threads on malachite/slag glass etc, but to me it looks like blue with white marbled opaline glass.  The last photo should show the marbled effect.  Pressed with three seams.  Very pretty goats head on the front, diamond shapes on the rest of the vase.  Measures 14.4cm tall and 7.4cm wide at the rim.  It looks as though it may have had a round sticker on the base - there are remains of old glue under what is visible as a new round sticker which was the code sticker for the dealer stuck over the top.  I have seen Portieux Vallerysthal PV stickers in that shape, but I can't find it to match the design. 
Any help would be much appreciated.  I wondered also how old it might be?
Thanks  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Malachite can only be green. I would just call it blue marbled or blue slag, though I wonder if it came out marbled rather than was designed to be marbled, as it doesn't look marbled enough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Goats head goblet pressed turquoise blue marbled opaline glass
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
thanks :) yes of course it can only be green - I'm an idiot (stressed and distressed and in the midst of arranging a funeral so please forgive loss of coherence - thought I'd intersperse arrangements with a dabble of glass just for some relief)
I've amended the heading.
And I agree about the accidental marbling thought.  It doesn't have big enough white streaks in it really
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that and sorry for your loss {{{{}}}}  :-*

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
thank you

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
hello m  -  my sympathies also in your current circumstances - I hope proceeding all go smoothly, and hope you are feeling a little more on top of things soon. :)

Whilst I wouldn't normally disagree with Lustrousstone ;) - as this lady knows far more about glass than me - I would consider on this occasion that Christine's rationale is wrong, when explaining that by definition malachite glass has to be green.      If you read Cottle and Murray, they both discuss the various colours that were available in Malachite wares i.e. green, blue and brown principally - the use of the word malachite being simply to describe the marbling effect produced in the finished product (copying the natural substance)  -   not using the word green from the mineral.
For collectors the most common colour being the purplish malachite (blackberries and cream), and one of the least common was light brown, and both books shown named examples of the most common colours, in the illustrations.      Other colours being black, grey and red.

Although most collectors often describe these variegated marbled coloured pieces as slag glass  -  I suspect most are probably simply opaque Vitro-Porcelain.      Real slag glass was a product which I believe was produced in the earlier days of manufacture, and the floor sweepings, and dross from the coal or iron works was abandoned for a more controlled use of quality materials.
Your goblet is probably C20, and possibly from the States  -   Sheilagh Murray does show a figurine which she describes as "Marble Slag Glass" that has a two tone colour of white and purplish, and which she considers to be American, 'probably'.
From memory, I don't recall seeing anything in Slack or Lattimore in this type of two tone separated colourway  -  only the usual variegated/marbled looks. :)

The description of your piece might be......blue and white Vitro-Porcelain glass, American possibly :)
P.S.  I've looked through Belknap's 'Milk Glass', but don't see any reference to Goats ;D

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Over here we would not consider this as slag, but I have to say that Sowerby produced Malachite in various colors that we would call slag so I am not at all certain if any of this is carved in stone...Malachite versus Slag as it seems to have varying interpretations depending on what ever source you encounter. For what its worth I went through Chiaurenza & Slater & in the hundreds of listings by "figure" I did not find Goat so not much help. I might suggest emailing  s.geiselberger@t-online.de as he has been extremely (to say the least) helpful to me identifying marble/malachite/slag that was european & it might be a candidate for his Quarterly magazine.  Ken.

bfg

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
Hi m, firstly my condolences during this sad time ((m))

just wanted to say I had one (or similar) of these in plain milk glass a few years back.

Had a couple of pagans fighting over it on ebay, they said the goat was Pan and they wanted the chalice for their altar.

Don't remember much else, sorry but mythological creatures rather than goats might turn up something on a google search?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
I would think the goat is actually a satyr - Bacchanalia; wine, women, song and dance.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

bfg

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
yey sue, great minds!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum