No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Classical vase in black with trails and handles  (Read 1900 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Classical vase in black with trails and handles
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »
The object in the photos is 23cm high by 13cm diameter and weighs 1.56kg. The outside is satin finished, except for the applied handles which are shiny, and the inside becomes progressively shinier from the top rim on down inside. The feathered trails in orange, blue and white are almost completely embedded, although the change in texture can be felt by a finger lightly dragged over the surface. The base is roughly ground.

The main material is truly black, and completely opaque as far as I can tell. Sometimes I wonder if it is really glass!

Where does such an object come from, and when would it have been made?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Classical vase in black with trails and handles
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
Bohemian & Czech glass could be an option.

They made the Hyalith glass in the 18th century (started to I mean), which was like an imitation stoneware. That might be a starting point for you?
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
I'm just chucking thoughts at this...
It really really does look "classical". It is a bit reminiscent of ancient Phoenician glass - from before blowing, when things were made on a core.... but not that old.

Could it be one of the rather lovely top-end replicas you can sometimes get in museum shops?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »
Not sure it is glass - it could be hi fired earthenware which takes on a glassy appearance. I vote against hyalith because that has all the aspects of glass....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
That base is ceramic not glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
Black clay then?
I can't see any edge where enamels would end.... and Trevor says he can feel a texture where the feathery bits are..

Trevor - do you have a very, very strong bright light to hold it up against? any sunshine your way? (but remember to protect your eyes)

I agree, the base does look ceramic, but glass could have ended up like that...  ???
The handles look like glass...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
I had a piece of Will Shakspeare glass that was black and look like that base and that glass texture.
I vote it's glass  :)
m

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:41:09 AM »
Thanks all. This is more exciting than I thought.

Sue: There's no sun to speak of here today. I took the brightest torch in the house into the darkest room to see what light might come through. After a few Schrodinger-like moments of doubt that the torch was working, I convinced myself the material is quite opaque.

I've added a few close-ups of the handle, the feathered trails and the base texture. Maybe these can help in telling whether it is glass or ceramic.

The fourth photo shows the base of a small vase by the noted West Australian glass artist Gerry Reilly in which the pontil scar has been ground out leaving a textured surface like that on the object in question. The difference is the bright torch shines through the material showing the deep blue colour that is evident from the internal appearance of the vase.

My experience is that 'black' glass is usually a deep purple and does transmit light if only weakly. I would lean more towards the conclusion of ceramic if I could understand how such feathered trails might be made. It really looks to me like they have been trailed on, then dragged through up and down and marvered to include them into the parent material - all before or while the item is expanded to its present size and shape. I cannot see how that would be done with ceramic material, at least not without making a big mess.

Anyone suggest other tests that might be done?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 04:10:30 AM »
Looks like Azerbaijan or Baijan glass to me.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
It still looks like ceramic to me; you can see the grains. It's amazing what you can do with glaze...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand