No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SET OF 6 COLOURED WINE GLASSES - FRENCH? MAKER?  (Read 447 times)

Offline lectus123

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • uk
SET OF 6 COLOURED WINE GLASSES - FRENCH? MAKER?
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
Hi.  I have just been given by my Grandma a set of 6 different coloured wine glasses.  She seems to think that they are French and brought back from France during the war by her brother.  I have included a picture of one.  If anyone has any idea to their origin and or maker I would be grateful. I cannot see any markings. Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: SET OF 6 COLOURED WINE GLASSES - FRENCH? MAKER?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
Hi, welcome to the board.
Its quite unlikely you will be lucky enough to find the maker of your glasses, there are many manufacturers
of similar items.
You could have a look on this website,
http://www.glaskilian.de/Home.36.0.html?&L=1

Click on the pictures of the coloured wine and hock glasses to see many different similar shapes and patterns.
Good luck.
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
Check under the foot right in the middle of the glass and see if there is any very very faint etched mark there - you will need a magnifying glass.  Another place to check is around the near the edge of the rim of the foot underneath.  But marks if there are any, can be imperceptible and faint and difficult to find.  Check all of them if you have a set.  You may just get lucky.
The stem of them is cut beautifully as well.  They look to be lovely glasses.
How much does each of them weigh?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
these are attractive glasses, and I hope you do have some luck, although as Andy has said the probability of finding the maker is very slim.
From experience, backstamps are unlikely to be in the centre of the foot, especially with a star cut like this which would leave almost no flat area to mark.       Far more likely to be around the outside of the foot, if at all.         Try flicking with a finger nail  -  and if they have a nice ring then you have a better quality lead crystal glass, although I'm unsure what knowing their weight will tell us, perhaps m can explain :)     You might find that there is a little variation in height - thoughout the set - this is not uncommon on older glasses.           As you still have the set of six, then I'm guessing they have seen very little use - either that or your gran was exceptionally careful when using them.
welcome to the GMB by the way. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand