No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: jade carrara glass  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
jade carrara glass
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
I have a jade colour vase that I am trying to identify its a strange jade with lots of swirls and bits of other colours mixed in. While searching I came across this auction of Jade Carrara glass , never heard of it before and it is exactly like my vase. Has anyone else heard of it and who made it in the auction it just says US Glass.

see link

[Mod: long Google URL converted to clickable link]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: jade carrara glass
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
The auction info is correct as its U.S. Glass Carrara line & the color is Jade. The Carrara line was made in 1922 through 1924 at Factory G, Glassport PA. You will also find the Carrara line in several Tiffin references which technically speaking is incorrect because Carrara was not made in Factory R, Tiffin, OH.  The confusion exists because UGS was a conglomerate with many factories, however in September 1927 all glass produced by the conglomerate was named Tiffin regardless of what factory produced the product, but in this case the dates of Carrara production predates the use of the word Tiffin. Colors include Coral (an orangy red) Jade, Pearl Blue & a strange purplish opaque that was never named. The glass itself can be found in a good solid color or not so solid with blackish swirls or dots as evidently batch quality was not uniform. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »
Wow !! Thank you so much for all that information. Its brilliant now I can catalogue it correctly before adding it to my collection. What a lucky find on ebay...Thanks again you are so helpful.  ;D

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:09:59 AM »
Yes that was a good find. While it may not look like much, Carrara is highly collectible, far more so that just about any other American made opaque from the 20s. Your piece is a Flared Dahlia vase. A pic of some pieces I've had in the past is below & may give you an idea of what to look for in a console bowl & candlesticks. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous, I shall keep a look out for more ....thanks for the picture.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand