No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turquoise Tint Codd Bottle  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Turquoise Tint Codd Bottle
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »
Hi all, 

Picked up this unusual looking bottle on my most recent visit to Milton Keynes from a local Charity Shop for no more than £2.00.   To be honest. I do not have much interest in bottles, but what interest me was the shape, reason and how the marble was inserted into the bottle.  From information I manage to gather the bottle was possibly made around the late 1800's for the Coventry Tavern Co. Ltd, Earlsdon. Having viewed numerous sites, there appears to be conflicting information on when the actual company closed.  There is clear embossed markings to front:  The Coventry Coffee Tavern Co. Ltd, Cox St, Coventry.  The rear: Redfearn Bros, Bottle Makers, Barnsley.  The base: R B 8 or R 8 8.  The bottle holds approx. 10oz and is 22.4cm in height.  The base dia. is approx. 6.3cm.     The bottle is very thick and heavy and there are clear visible elongated bubbles within the glass.  Any help appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Turquoise Tint Codd Bottle
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »
Early 20th possibly.  These were used in Europe until the 1930s - and in Japan they are still used today.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »
The National Archives indicate the company was still filing returns in 1913

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:56:40 AM »
The marble was put in then the top lip was added after if you look very close you can see where it is joined to the rest of the bottle. there are thousands of bottle diggers around the country some bottles make a lot of money some had different coloured marbles tops ect. have a look on the BBR auction site they have some realy nice ones there.
there is always someone worse off .

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
Hi all,

The manufacture, Redfearn Glass, commenced business around 1862 and according to findings was the third largest glass factory in Britian.  According to findings, The Coffee Tavern was built around 1899 and closed business around 1920.  If so, yes, I would agree Ivo and Christine, as  being, early 1920's. I do see what you mean about the top lid being added later Stew2u2. I am assuming, that is how they  inserted the marble.   I forgot to mention that there is a pictorial view of the Three Spires Coventry, which I am not sure as being clear on the pictures posted, also the base area has definite signs of ware.  I have later found that the the embossed marking to the base is, R B B  which is for Barnsley, South Yorkshire, where the bottles were made.  There does not appear to be much information about The Coventry Coffee Tavern online, which asserts me more to think, that the company was only in existance for a short period of time and so, the volume of orders, would not of been high.  ::) 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
I've heard it said that during the early C20 children would break these cod bottles to get at the glass ball, with which they then played marbles.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:40 AM »
Yes! Ive heard that too.  This bottle is in excellent condition and has been well looked after by the previous owner/s.  Minor stains yes, but that is expected considering it's age.  Here is some additional information of interest:

http://www.antiquebottles.com/codd/

http://www.codnor.info/Bakers_Lane.php  (Fig. 5)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand